How effective is bouncing spam?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have been using Mailwasher a few days and have the spam set to bounce. But I have now noticed that I have more spam than ever before. Any suggestions? Is bouncing spam really effective? I have settings enabled where spam is bounced and blacklisted. Also, I have my server set to not tag spam so it is just caught in MailWasher.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I wouldn't bother with bouncing spam as it serves to show your email address is active.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I learned a long time ago not to bounce spam, it just make ripples in the water and tells them someone is there.

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Maybe an app that can show and delete any spam at the servers end could be a better solution.

Using Palmail here which hasn't been developed in a while but is a standalone and works fine on my XP/Vista installs.

5. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Bouncing spam not only won't help, it makes you a spammer too.

Spammers use false email addresses. The unfortunate ones legitimately using the faked addresses unfortunately are being subjected to the back-scatter, and are experiencing what's called a joe job. Until the back-scatter calms down once the spammer stops using the faked address, it become basically useless to the legitimate user.

Why Mailwasher continues to include that useless and spam creating feature, I don't know.

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Agree! The only place spam should go is the trash.

7. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

"the email system allows a spammer to change the Return-path: address to any address desired -- and at least 90% of the time that's exactly what happens. So where does the bounce go?"
    In your case it looks like you are getting your own bounced spam back.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Mailwasher, the program mentioned by acr1965, allows one to do just that. It just happens to have the option to bounce as well. My advice would be not to use that option, and use the other features of the program.

As has been said previously, quite why they have bounce as an option I don't know.

There are other POP3 email checkers that scan mail servers and let you see what's on there before downloading. POPTray is another example of this genre.

9. mfenech

mfenech Registered Member

Isn't the point of a bounced email to say the address is inactive? Do mail servers no longer bounce undeliverable mail the same way Mailwasher does?

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Spammers don't pay attention to bounces. They send hundreds of thousands if not millions of spams a day. They aren't legitimate people sending emails in the first place, so, they don't monitor bounces. And, as said above, no true spammer sends from a legitimate email address anyway. All real spam comes from faked reply addresses, and almost always from hijacked servers or home PCs. There is no point at all in bouncing real spam.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I think bouncing spam back is of no use. The return email address is probably a fake one. Best thing to do is to establish another email address and redirect any expected correspondence to the new one. Let the old one just be a collector of junk mail. If you really need to use the old account, I would try to have some kind of change done on the mail server end and not on my own PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.