How Does Prevx1 Compare with Other HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by profhsg, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I'm really unsure how Prevx1 compares with other HIPS such as Green Border and Sand Boxie, Win Patrol, Tru Prevent, Online Armour etc. Can anyone link to a site explaining the different types of products and what they exactly do? If not, does anyone have a short (or not so short) simple explanation of the similarities and differences among the products.

Thanks.

2. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

It's better.

With the "It takes a Village" philosophy of Prevx where we all look out for each others systems through the process of the first guy to get hit with malware warning everybody else so they are able to repel the newest and nastiest malware infestation --- the Prevx1 folks are able to ID and block malware just about faster than anybody else.

Most other malware prevention systems are based on old theories where one has to wait for malware signatures to be collected, processed, and then disseminated back out to protect your system.

Prevx1 continues to make progress as they keep tweaking the product to make it better and better. It's not like PestPatrol or some other products -- stuck at a fixed stage.

And the Prevx folks are a small and ambitious group that is aggressively pursuing product improvement – not like Ewido or Giant….once great businesses swallowed up and now wallowing in the belly of some behemoth corporate bureaucratic beast.

Additionally, the Prevx1 guys are very responsive in these forums. Unlike some folks where there is no information flow, Notok and other guys are always monitoring both to answer issues and to watch for areas to further tweak and improve the product.

Gigantic Disclaimer: I don't actually use Prevx -- yet. And I can't explain the technical differences in the products you listed. Further, I'm not really even a computer security "smart guy." But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (I wonder how many outside the US would understand that joke).

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Prevx is the only HIPS for an average user in my opinion.
    I used it for sometime and did not feel much slow down, unlike early versions of it. U can install a trial urself and see how it works for u.

GreenBorder and Sandboxie are SandBoxes. So are GesWall and DefenceWal.l
    WinPatrol monitors for new start up enteries and services mainly.
    TruePrevent is behavioural blocker as I think( though not sure-- it probably has some signature based protection as well) but I heard it has been discontinued for 2007.
    Online Armor is basically an execurion controlling HIPS plus some other things. SSM. AppDefend and PG are other examples of HIPS, mainly having execution control.

4. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Arovax Shield for the Average User ok?

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

arovax shield may be ok for average user, but users wanting more protection should look elsewhere.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It just watches start up enteries, IE settings etc and not so good in my opinion.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: How about AntiHook 2.6? Is it better than Prevx 1 or process guard free?

8. WSFuser

based on features, it offers more than processguard free and can be comparable to the paid version.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Does it give termination protection like PG?

10. WSFuser

yes it does.

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A couple of points re comments above...

Unlike Prevx1, System Safety Monitor does not rely on signatures.

Neither WinPatrol nor Arovax are anywhere near being in the same *superb protection* league as Online Armor, System Safety Monitor, Prevx1, Antihook, et alia. Win Patrol & Arovax are small-scope IDS, not HIPS a'tall. I would put them in the "better-than-nothing" category.

By the way, "Online Armor AV+" includes Kaspersky Antivirus as well as a firewall as well as a full-scope HIPS as well as several other protective layers not ALL of which are found in any other HIPS program *as yet* -- but then, who know what tomorrow shall bring?:ninja:

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Hey aigle, if Online Armor is basically an execurion controlling HIPS, then Geswall is a wanna be sandbox. :D

dja2k

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, not sure what u mean.
    I just posted in brief, OA has many other things in addition to anti-excution but I mentioned mainly this as most HIPS( PG, Anti-Hook, AppDefend) are basically defence against application execution.
    GeSWall is a sandbox sure.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

why do you think its only for the adverage user?

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I said--it is the only HIPS for average user. I never said-- it is only for average user.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

oh woops i read it wrong sorry

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

no problem!

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Well put :) You can even block it from running if you're the first to see it, then it's usually determined within the first 24 hours.

Prevx1 doesn't rely on signatures, but the determinations do make it accessible/viable to those that are not malware experts. Even if you do end up running something that's bad, as soon as it's determined Bad it will be drawn and quartered :)

:D As well as just being a Wilders member in general. I'm on vacation now, if that's any indication ;)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.