How does it Work?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by toods, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toods

toods Registered Member

I know this question must have been asked before on the Forums, but I cannot find a reference.

I like to know what I am actually installing or changing on my PCs before doing so. Therefore could someone please let me know how Spyware Blaster 'does it's job'?.

I guess that, because the program does not acrtually have to be running for the protection to be active, it must do one or more of the following:

1. Modifiy registry keys to enhance IE security and maybe also add Restricted Sites.

2. Run a small 'Proxy Server' on the PC.

3. Run a DLL file with some other function.

The application looks great - -just what I need, but could someone please enlighten me as to the function first?.

Thanks,

Bill.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

1. Modifiy registry keys to enhance IE security and maybe also add Restricted Sites.
    2. Run a small 'Proxy Server' on the PC.
    3. Run a DLL file with some other function.

1) Yep....via the below reg keys.

Internet Explorer Protection
    1) ActiveX(clsids)
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility
    2) Cookie
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History
    Restricted Sites Protection
    1) IE's Restricted Zone
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

2) Nope....nothing like that

3) There is no dll file....all files used are in the Program Files\SpywareBlaster folder.

3. toods

toods Registered Member

Thanks for that information - it sounds just the job for me!.

Can I ask one further question?. In view of the way that SpywareBlaster configures IE/Windows, is it best to clear the Restricted Sites list that I already have in IE Security and also clear out the HOSTS file listings before installing SpywareBlaster?.

Thanks,

Bill.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Nope....no further questions :)
    Just kidding :ninja:

There is no reason to have to clear the entries in the Restricted Zone of IE. If an entry that SpywareBlaster(SB) wants to add is already there....it will simply overwrite that entry. The other entries that are not duplicates should remain....so that you can retain the protection for those sites.

As far as the Hosts file in respects to SB....the only feature SB has is the ability to create a back-up of your Hosts file for safe keeping. Other than that....there's no need to bother your Hosts file before installing SB.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.