How does HIPS work? (alert messages)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gugarci, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

I'm a current user of NOD, been using NOD since 2.7, and I still have not upgraded to V5. How does HIPS work? If enable will my PC's get constant pop-ups asking the user what to do? I can deal with some pop-ups on my laptop, but I know my wife will not like them on our desktop.

Thanks.

2. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

In automatic mode there won't be any pop-ups

3. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

A fairly good showcase of HIPS and other new freatures in EAV | ESS here

Note, looking for a Business build of the v5 engine, nowhere to be found :ouch:

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The Business version based on v5 is in the process of development. As soon as a beta version is available, it will be announced through official channels as usual.

5. gugarci

Thanks for the replies. I installed it on my laptop first. Will do the desktop later-on in case an issue turns-up. But so far, it looks good.

6. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

After I installed ver 5, I got a popup from HIPS with automatic mode. The message was that the rules were invalid (words to that effect). There weren't any rules yet. I decided to put it into interactive mode so that I could get some rules established. I've left it that way for a while. Interactive mode will be a pain for a lot of folks, so be advised that it will be intrusive.

7. gugarci

For what program? I' have not seen any pop up yet. But I only used my laptop for about an hour.

Thanks.

8. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

It was a general message that I got, in a smaller balloon. No program cited. After I put it into interactive mode, then I got something to work with.

Added: In interactive mode, I found that I was able to create rules for common programs as the popup came for them, such as for Secunia PSI, SuperAntiSpyware, and others.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.