How does HIPS work? (alert messages)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gugarci, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

I'm a current user of NOD, been using NOD since 2.7, and I still have not upgraded to V5. How does HIPS work? If enable will my PC's get constant pop-ups asking the user what to do? I can deal with some pop-ups on my laptop, but I know my wife will not like them on our desktop.

Thanks.

2. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

In automatic mode there won't be any pop-ups

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

A fairly good showcase of HIPS and other new freatures in EAV | ESS here

Note, looking for a Business build of the v5 engine, nowhere to be found :ouch:

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The Business version based on v5 is in the process of development. As soon as a beta version is available, it will be announced through official channels as usual.

5. gugarci

Thanks for the replies. I installed it on my laptop first. Will do the desktop later-on in case an issue turns-up. But so far, it looks good.

6. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

After I installed ver 5, I got a popup from HIPS with automatic mode. The message was that the rules were invalid (words to that effect). There weren't any rules yet. I decided to put it into interactive mode so that I could get some rules established. I've left it that way for a while. Interactive mode will be a pain for a lot of folks, so be advised that it will be intrusive.

7. gugarci

For what program? I' have not seen any pop up yet. But I only used my laptop for about an hour.

Thanks.

8. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

It was a general message that I got, in a smaller balloon. No program cited. After I put it into interactive mode, then I got something to work with.

Added: In interactive mode, I found that I was able to create rules for common programs as the popup came for them, such as for Secunia PSI, SuperAntiSpyware, and others.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.