How do you use Windows 8?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattdocs12345, May 12, 2013.

?

How do you use Windows 8?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2013.
  1. I use Modern UI

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. I use Desktop UI

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. I use both

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. Windows 8 is a failure! I use something else...

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

metro is good for tablets, smartphone and such.
    i never tried Metro on such devices because i have no intention to get one.
    i don't even have a cell phone. ;)

like i said, Metro might be awesome on portable devices, but on a desktop machine, not so much.

but thankfully, Metro doesn't bother me much.
    i leave it alone and it pretty much does the same with me. lol

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Let's Focus On The Topic: Windows 8. Thank You!

3. VictorNono

VictorNono Registered Member

Bought a laptop with win 8. Start menu was tiresome. But after some weeks there was always problems with performance. Task manager was much slower, seems like the new file-history is spyware that probably do internet stuff. But after installing windows 7 it is satisfactory. Calendar, CPU and Daemon tools gadgets are cool on the desktop. Start menu is better. And task manager 10 times faster. Like this upgrade. Just strange that the shop now sells exactly the same acer aspire laptop with windows 7 for 100 euro lesser than this one with win 8 pre-installed.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I really can't understand why there is such a controversy about the Metro UI. With phones and tablets it is the best way to choose your programs, with the new touch screens "convertible/hybrids" notebooks where the display can be separated from the main body, metro again offers great versatility.

My notebook is neither touch screen nor convertible, but it is so convenient to have Metro. If I'm browsing and need to choose a program, I just need to press one key (MS Symbol next to the Alt key) and Metro appears with all the programs that I care to list. It is conceptually not so different from the old Start /program protocol, it just looks different, but a brilliant solution in terms of design that fits in many systems.

If one doesn't like it as a matter of visual taste, fine, I can understand, but for some to say Windows 8 is a failure it is really a groundless statement.

5. encus

encus Registered Member

As much as I hate Metro, I still keep it and use both Metro and Desktop GUI (but I always switch immediately to Desktop after Metro appeared).

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As a new user of Windows 8 for some months now, my opinion is mixed but objective.

Metro UI for desktop users is nothing which hasn't already been around in our internet browsers with Speed Dial, which looks like to me MS copied that design and just fashioned it in a manner to integrate it into Windows 8.

As already stated a better approach would have been for MS to market 8 into two brands. one for tablets n touch screen devices and the other for desktop workers.

It's the desktop users who feel shunted by MS decision to release 8 without first taking serious consideration for those users productivity needs.

As a desktop user of Windows i do applaud MS efforts to enhance security through patchguard, secure boot, smart screen, and uac. to name a few.

Performance improvements are minimal at best but hardware firmware improvements are at a point now that they can easily carry more payload anyway.

The real source of frustration arises from having to jump over all the new obstacles just to access even basic apps like Task Manager or hop Scotch thru the metro just to reach system accessories and such. A real pain and forfeiture of instant access capability.

The slide out menu is been around since 98. MS just decided to impliment a rocket dock function to access Metro, search, and Devices menus.

Bottom line for me in windows is unless service pack 8.1 makes marked changes to better accommadate desktop users productivity, return the start button n programs menu, W7 and Linux is.beginning to appear more desirable all the more and makes good sense for the present and future terms respectively.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Easter, try the MS key (Win8 symbol) + X, you get a list of essential direct features instantly. I think it should work with any computer.

Attached Files:

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks Osaban for the suggestion however in my years with Windows its become routine for me anyway to instantly access and browse via the hand remote or mouse as its known. There is at least one nice app that makes accessing nearly everything by the right click menu.

http://www.moo0.com/?top=http://www.moo0.com/software/RightClicker/

Right now though my Windows 8 is already on the blink and fails to boot, refresh, or reset. An issue where i'm waiting for manuufacturers discs x 3 to revive it again.

In the meantime its Linux to the rescue.

9. jingjing

jingjing Registered Member

I use it just for test software,feel not good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.