How do you use Windows 8?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattdocs12345, May 12, 2013.

?

How do you use Windows 8?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2013.
  1. I use Modern UI

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. I use Desktop UI

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  3. I use both

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. Windows 8 is a failure! I use something else...

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

How do you use Windows 8? After first installing it I tried working with Metro and Desktop. It lasted about 20 minutes, then I got frustrated and installed Start8. Then again I tried using both Metro and Desktop but it felt very bipolar. So finally after few days I completely removed Metro apps and made Windows 8 look exactly like Windows 7 (including the glowing orb start button). Thanks to Start8 I got a usable operating system.

2. guest

guest Guest

I wouldn't say Win 8 is a failure, but I don't like it since the first time I saw the leaked SS. Hence I didn't vote, sorry. I'll skip 8 and wait for 9, as usual. :cool:

3. mattdocs12345

I was going to do the same. I loathed 8 with all my heart. However buying a new laptop forced me into it.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Indeed. Micro W 8 is double edge sword for desktop users. It has some reasonable performance and features improvements but DEFINITELY NOT! metro tiles and that store. Consumers would been better served had microfumb split this system into 2 separate entities. One for the notes and mobile users and a non-metro for desktoppers.

EDIT: Done a very 1st Windows 8 x64 "REFRESH'. Backed up all third party proggys. It took roughly 45 minutes to fully complete. I have to give credit where credits due. To my total astonishment the win 8 refresh actually left most my desktop folders chalked full of apps completely intact! It left more remaining then when i used 8's system restore. System is more responsive too. At least MS has made a noble improvement in that regard

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have little time for the metro UI, because I don't (and probably never will) use a touchscreen PC.

6. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I initially used only Metro UI, but found it somewhat awkward – (I still don't like that dumb 'pull down the blind' trick to close a program\app!)
    I then installed Classic Shell and now use Metro\Classic Shell desktop\and key combos.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried the Metro apps but i think those are useless for the desktop.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Right. Classic Shell IS A MUST. The dual desktop combo just isn't making it on my favorite features list by a long stretch.

On a better note (i think). And for anyone leery to do a refresh, it did auto-funtion and completed withthout any problems whatsoever. Im working from an OEM Windows 8 lappy (Gateway), and so far so good. Given its new GPT type.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I use both and am very happy with this OS

10. moontan

i don't feel like i need Classic Shell.

i don't even use Metro to launch applications.
    i do what i've always done, just open a folder with my shortcuts. ;)

to tell the truth, i never used the Start button much on previous versions of Windows either.

11. mattdocs12345

Lol, looks like you feel with windows 8 right at home. Me on the other hand, I cannot live without a proper start button and menu.

I am really surprised that nobody uses Metro UI only. Seems like there is always so many Metro apologists...

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I found this freeware desktop switcher a lot easier and fun to use on Windows 8 then metro hot corners. One good alternative to the Met GUI and you can customize it to your liking.

XLaunchPad Xwidget

13. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

14. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

BTW, this poll could have an option for those that use something else but don't necessarily think that Windows 8 is a failure. The lack of such option makes the poll appear as just another rant.

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Look at vista for example.Just remember the arguments for and against windows 7 when it first came out.

Look at the global figures for windows 7 users now.

Seems to me windows 8 is going through exactly the same phase.
    Years from now windows 8 will have billions of users and this poll and everything involved with it will be totally forgotten and irrelevant.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This right there is what I don't understand about all the app craze. Why do we need a desktop app for facebook? It works just fine in IE10 and other browsers. So do most other websites that people seem to clamor for an app.

On a mobile phone with a tiny screen I can understand that an app for a webpage might work better, but on a 10" tablet (or larger screen) I just don't see much point. It just takes space on the drive and clutters up the start screen.

Regards Easter

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I like most things about W8, specially its smoothness and how fast it boots. The only thing i still hate is . . . Metro.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

My honest assessments exactly. Jumping straight to Windows 8 from XP Pro was i thought something of a gamble, but now i have no regrets whatsoever.

You are right! Windows 8 boots insanely fast compared to its predecessors and another very welcome relief is as you mentioned exceptionally smooth as well as snappy despite sporting the dual desktops with metro apps etc. Some notable security improvements are also a plus.

I done my very first REFRESH and that went very well indeed.

All in all i'm quite pleased with Windows 8 and am curious what its first major full system update via Windows Blue will bring to it

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Only in a virtual machine for compatibility and testing purposes. Kept it at default, but voted #4 anyways.

20. mattdocs12345

No. It's not a rant. I do like Windows 8, that is after I made it look 100% like windows 7. Still, I love the few little changes that they made. This poll was mainly to see how people use Windows 8 and not whether people like it or not.

21. mattdocs12345

Makes sense. Its going to be interesting to see if people without touchscreens will be able to use metro 100% of the time without ever going into desktop.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That will never happen... :)

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Im currently using W8 and so far i can say that 99% of the time im in the desktop. I havent installed any kind of third party apps for the start menu.

24. x942

x942 Guest

I use windows 8 for a couple windows only tools for my job and I use it as Windows to Go (boot able USB Flash drive). I don't care for it on the PC but on tablets it is pretty nice. Not moving from linux any time soon though. I give Microsoft props for trying something new.

25. moontan

in Windows 8, what i like is having some shortcuts to admin tools via right click on the 'Start' button/hotspot.
    i don't know if there is such a feature on Win 7.
    i never tried right clicking on the Start button on Win 7 and previous. ;)

i can easily access the Control Panel from there, which is pretty much the only thing i used the Start button for on previous Windows OSes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.