How do you use archives?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by beethoven, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Just wondering if I am not making full use of archives :eek:

At present I have several snapshots on my OS drive for instant recovery. In addition I have created several archives and feel more comfortable having these stored on a separate and/or external drive for emergencies.

I never actually had to use them, so they just give me that warm and fuzzy feeling that a backup should be possible. Are you guys also using archives for other purposes? I suppose you could limit the number of snapshots and keep more archives with varying configs for testing purposes. Anyone using a logical or convenient set-up for this.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use them in place of snapshots. I keep my Primary full working snapshot, and a very stripped down secondary, that is strictly a place to boot. All updating is done from primary to archive. When I want to get rid of something I've tested, I boot to secondary and restore from archive to primary.

This has also become an integral part of my backup strategy. Doesn't matter how old image is as long as the archive is current. Just restore an image, boot to secondary and restore archive.

Pete

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Right, If you are totally stuck,everything hosed and nothing helps,then if as Peter do, your up and running in no time,guess 10 minutes.
    its just a miracle,these app. in their own way are unbeatable,let alone if they team up.

4. Peter2150

Hi beethoven

If you are wondering how robust the archives are, some where in these threads is an experiment I did. I had restored my Vista image, so my machine was Vista-ized. Booted to my secondary snapshot, and restored from my XP Pro Archive to primary. Took about the same time as creating a new archive, but when I booted back to primary there XP pro was in all it's glory. Certainly not as quick as restoring an image, but, it shows how effective the archives are.

Pete

5. beethoven

I will give this some more thought and play with this. I can see the advantage of using archives more widely than just for emergency backup.
    In the past I tested some software in my secondary and then either kept it or wiped it by copying from primary. Sometimes I am not really convinced one way or the other and might want to go back to the new program later. In this case I guess I could create a test archive running firewall A, a test archive running firewall B, a test archive running AV A etc.
    Really keeping my primary untouched unless the new program is a clear winner.

Peter
    - do you find any disadvantage in not having any "regular" secondary or consecutive snapshot? I assume if worst case scenario you could not boot up in your secondary snapshot, any other snapshots probably would not help either?

6. Peter2150

No. Lets say I have no trouble booting to primary, but secondary won't boot. First thing I'd do is restore secondary from archive of secondary. If that doesn't fix it chances are my FDISR install may have been corrupted. In that case, I just restore an image, which gives me back a good FDISR install and two good snapshots. Then my archives can be used for update.

Archives and images are a powerful recovery duo

Pete

7. estervantes

estervantes Registered Member

Hi Peter,

Just so I understand.

You are saying that you were using VISTA and then within VISTA restored an archive made of an XP installation and then were able to boot into a fully functional XP installation?

So, I could probably archive a VISTA snapshot, delete VISTA and install XP with FD-ISR and then later, should I want , restore the VISTA archive within an XP installation thus giving me a functional VISTA primary.

I guess it is analogous to putting an alternative OS on a blank snapshot.

8. Peter2150

You understand it right. Only thing was it took almost a half an hour, compared to 8 minutes to restore an image. Interesting test, but not a practical use.

Pete

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

FirstDefense (Genuine) is my "TOP" above all else bread and butter recovery restore solution, even trumping my images from favorite back up program. In spite of the "speed" difference i don't differentiate them anyways, FD-ISR's archives to me are the absolute Gold Standard for reliable fall back protection in the face of everything from file infector virus contamination to hard drive malfunction.

It's proven itself for me the most versatile and confidence enhanced backup system that i ever experienced.

Proper use of them is to always maintain copies of them to an alternate hard drive disk. They have not failed me once to rebuild/restore, completely intact their origin files = snapshots with 100% reliability.

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Wow ! Easter, i have have the same gut feeling with FDISR, but then you sing the praises of every software your using. lol :D

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Huppi :)

You know what? That comment just made me realize something, i do sing a loud and mighty note over the security software that i use, and i keep on hand what i think are some of the best in the whole galaxy ever invented for security duty.

This forum and it's membership have a lot to with that and theres certainly no slouches here you know, you included ;)

12. beethoven

This is a silly question but am I right in assuming that if you update from an archive to a snapshot, you cannot update the active snapshot?

13. Peter2150

Correct. You have to do it from the other snapshot. Thats why I keep a slimmed down secondary.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

FD-ISR is IMO an EXTREMELY versatile and most of all dependable & reliable ISR programming creation.

The archives are often looked on as a secondary precaution in event of anything where your sanpshots might have been adversely affected for some reason or simply to return to zero point where your snapshot was when saved/updated as archived.

This single feature alone is done my efforts proud and is a proven reliable fallback measure that other ISR's still have yet to duplicate. The FD snapshot's archive serves as a 100% assured recovery to a safe and complete return because it backs up "ALL" files/settings etc. in their entirety.

No fluff here or pointers to some full baseline origin but a perfect mirror copy, and you get on an update/copy just that, the FULL mirror image/snapshot of the system it indexed and duplicated leaving nothing out save only .tmp files and such.

Even now when all the excitement of it seems to have run it's course and it's little mentioned, those users who still rely on it know they have so much better peace of mind if any snapshot for any reason presents any problem.

Long Live FD-ISR!!!

15. beethoven

so:

Copy from any snapshot to any snapshot (except primary) or any archive, ie I can be in primary snapshot but do a copy from snapshot gaming to archive march.

and

copy from any archive to any archive or any archive to any snapshot except for primary.

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

You can do all the copy/update from the current in use snapshot to any archives and other installed snapshots[up to 10]

exception is that updating the current in use snapshot,you have to boot to another one.

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It can be a tricky concept to grasp at first, the archive thing.

Say I have 3 snapshots A, B, C

A is my primary
    B is my secondary,
    C is my archive on the external drive.

If I want to update C with new info from A, I just do a copy/update (with external plugged in of course!) from A to C.

If I want to put everthing on C back onto A, I boot into B and then copy/update A from C.
    In other words you can send info (copy) to another drive from where you are, but in order to recieve info to a snapshot from another drive, you have to be somewhere else.

18. Peter2150

The reason for all this is because the VSS or RSS copy engines can essentially make a copy of the system in place, and allow files to be copyied out. However no way for files to be copied in as they would have to replace files in use.

Pete

19. beethoven

I see the different situation for the active snapshot but find it a good feature that all other copy actions can take place no matter what snapshot you are in.

One hopefully final query: I am using Cobian for backup and noticed that the limit is 5gb per file. This means that I cannot backup any archives with Cobian. This is only relevant for the backup of the backup;) being done without F_IsR again copying anything. Is there any issue with just doing a manual copy / paste of archives from my backup drive to an external solution.

20. Peter2150

Just time. I find a simpler approach is just keep another archive on another drive, and occasionally update that.

21. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

if this is the case,copying from the shell[explorer] would do just fine,no need for Cobian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.