How do you remove features from AVG8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MrFunky, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrFunky

MrFunky Registered Member

I saw a thread somewhere, that showed how to remove the link scanner feature, sadly I cannot find it again but I would like to know what other features can be removed.

Does anybody know? I will probably only want to install the anti-virus and email scanner.
    So is it possible to remove other features upon install?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. MrFunky

eek, I guess nobody here is bothered :( If however I'm wrong, I found the info, altho I havent actually tested yet.

Here it is:

"By D
    Posted Friday 13th June 2008 22:14 GMT
    You can still use AVG without the Linkscanner component.

Starting from afresh, run the installer with the command

c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

My reasons for doing this were due to privacy concerns, more related to the use of search engines against every site I visit than AVG."

Taken from one of the comments, from this page:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/avg_scanner_skews_web_traffic_numbers/comments/

I would however, still like to know what other features can be removed this way. I don't really like AVG8 as you may have guessed, false positives are one thing but all the bloatware n crapware being bundled into it, along with the constant nag screen to install the security suite, is just too much.

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Haha well the nag screen is supposed to make you go "you know what, f**k it, I'll buy it"

Regarding privacy and the linkscanner, the issue with weblogs doesn't actually have an effect on you. It just makes it difficult for webmasters as it takes up their bandwidth and plays up with their logs.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Personally I wouldn't use an AV that I had to remove features from. So I find your determination to do this bizarre. Why not simply switch to another provider such as Avast or Antivir as was mentioned in the link you provided.o_O

5. MrFunky

I have actually, just installed Antivir today but if that isn't very good then what :eek: I've tried Avast before and it crashed a couple of times during scanning :(

Commodo is still very beta and resource hungry, so whats left, going naked with stand alone scanners and online scanners.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well Antivir is good and there are a lot of users here to help you although I'm not one of them. Every testing site I've seen has them highly rated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.