How do you feel about your netbook?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Osaban, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

6-8 hours of battery life in a very light/small package.

Blue

2. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I always suggest to my friends lately to not buy a netbook now. New machines are coming with win7, Ion 2 and with Atoms that have a bit more power. December 2009 - January 2010 will be a good period for bying a new netbook ( at least Win7 and Ion 2 will be around).

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Win 7 may not be much of a benefit, it will no doubt use more resources than XP probably offsetting any benefit in other areas.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The state of the art in computer technology is changing every 6 months, there isn't such a thing as an end product that will be competitive for long, it is in many ways the reason we are getting these new marvels all the time because they become redundant very quickly. Now if you are suggesting to wait until Win7 is available, it could probably be a good reason to hang on if you are sick and tired of XP (I am, quite frankly!).

5. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Well, my tests show another thing. If you have 2GB of memory then actually Win7 is slower booting than XP, but when you have passed the login page you notice no difference. I have made tests with old celerons and pentium 4. The truth is that I have not tested Atoms but I can immagine their performance. In addition Win7 offers better security and for sure it is "new".

In general I agree with you. But then we have to admit that has been created a strange case with the first generations of netbooks. Low power CPUs and really low graphic power made them ideal for the their supposed usage but at the end these netbooks are limited. We have ended discussing about the design and if a netbook has a 6 cell battery. Because all of them were copies of a platform that made a boom but in my opinion only because of the low price ( consider also the economic crisis ) and not because really fitted the needs of the netbook owners.
    So it's not the classical loop of technology shopping. It's about the fact that currently the offer does not provide what a user in 2010 really needs.
    Same with Intel...Adobe. Adobe has just announced that will release soon a flash player plugin that will play in a decent way HD flash video. Please don't tell me that we should wait for the year 2010 to get that.

We need CPUs with more power and low consumptions, better graphics system ( Ion 2 seems ideal ) and a new OS that will provide better security and higher quality standards than XP. We already have Win 7, in December comes Ion 2...now it's the turn of Intel. Although the latest Intel-Nvidia chipset battles show that in the future will have all Intel netbooks.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  6. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Interesting reading if you want to laugh a bit and/or reconsider some things:
    http://www.pcworld.fr/2009/10/14/materiel/pc-portable/michael-dell-netbooks/453031/

and for those that don't understand french...translated url:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...-netbooks/453031/&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0=

It's obvious that Michael Dell is not happy lately...maybe because of Acer taking his 2nd place...or the low profits coming from netbooks. I'm sure some other corporations will not be happy about his words.

8. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

XP get the Netbooks prices are dropping some are $120 those under this amount are from cell phone companies offer $49 - $99 for netbook after you sign a 2 year agreement for cell phone with wireless laptop deal. Windows 7 32/64-bit environment, there is a rumor that Windows 8 Windows 9 will be 128-bit but those are far out there. Still just haven't even got the 7 in the mean stream as of yet. I can't see everyone who can't run 7 ditch a system that's okay running XP. I believe by the time Windows 8 and Windows 9 is out in the 128-bit world XP will be history.

9. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I wonder what happens when Windows XP program compatibility ends. Sure, most well-written program for Windows will work on most versions of Windows, however some more complex applications, such as antiviruses by major vendors, have dropped support for Windows 2K several product editions ago.

10. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Well we all got until 2014 I've heard it might go as far as 2016 for XP support. Gonna have to upgrade by then or just build or buy a new system with the 64-bit or 128-bit OS on it by then Windows 8 or Windows 9.

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

XP is only on extended supported now. That's security fixes only. No bug fixes, no new hardware support; as time goes on you will find more and more new hardware and software not working correctly on XP.

12. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Hello everyone

Well here's my experience. Last year in october my dad bought an Acer Aspire One. Since I saw how versatile they seemed and that it came with XP I bought one too the same day. In around january my dad's laptop suddenly died. You press the power button and the power light turns on but you never see anything on screen. Since it was on warranty still my dad took it to the Acer warranty locally. They stayed with it for over a month. They said they changed the motherboard. I thought that well, some can come defective. Some time passed. Maybe a month I don't remember. The thing is my laptop died as well. And I decided I needed to know what was wrong. I searched and found out that some Aspire One's get their Bios gets corrupted. Apparently what triggers it is booting from USB. That's what happened to me and it suddenly died. Although others have simply died for no reason as other users have reported in other forums. I had to save a bios in a flash drive. Press FN+ESC while turning the laptop on so it can search the bios from a USB and overwrite the one installed. When it finished copying it just restarted and it booted fine. I totally untrust the thing cause I don't know if it will die again. Others have reported that they needed to to the trick many times. I will never buy an Acer again and I don't recommend it to anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.