How do i--- ?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by SwordOfSecurity, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

well forgive me if this issue has been posted before but i've used ewido a while ago and i personally didn't like how it automatically added in that real-time protection thing for a while (since i wanted to conserve on space and at the same time just use it as a seperate scanner).

however, the great reviews and the improving outlook for ewido has drawn me back, but i still want to use it only as the free version alone (plain scanner). is there a way i can just skip the installation process of the real-time protection and just install the free version alone?

seem's like a silly question to turn down a couple of days with some extra protection, but i already have quite a few running in the background and adding in one more would be a little bit more annoying for system resources. but anyway, if anybody could provide me with an easy solution to this i would be greatful!

2. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

The easy solution is to uninstall ewido anti-malware, reboot, and install ewido again and this time uncheck the option to install the guard in the installation steps.

BR

Vinzenz

3. vax

vax Registered Member

Even easier just uninstall the guard on the status screen. If you do this you loose realtime protection and auto updates but updates can be obtained manually at anytime. Also you will find you have a process running called ewidoctrl.exe, just end this process then disable it in control panel/admin tools/services. Peter from Ewido reckons it's something to do with guard and if you dont use guard you dont need ewidoctrl.exe.

4. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

well i found at the end it has the option of installing it or not (new versions have it now :p) and i've disabled that process but still find it odd how ewido still runs it even when i selected it not to install any background protection or automated stuff.

EDIT: well i did a bit of researching on that process (ewidoctrl.exe) and found this:
    for a purpose like this should i leave it on? (looks like a program trace remover) or is it actually a part of the background protection against malware and should be disabled & stopped?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  5. vax

vax Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.