How do I switch bootloader?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by taytong888, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Hello,

I have a multiboot system in which the default bootloader is legacy Grub. From the Grub menu I can boot into opensuse 12.1 (legacy Grub), Windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04 (Grub2), etc. Boot stanzas are stored in opensuse's /boot/grub/menu.lst.

During today's updating of Ubuntu, the screen says:

So I had no choice but to check the dev/sda box and hit Forward.

Now when I reboot, I only see the Grub 2 menu. I can still boot into different Os's but I'd rather have legacy Grub menu to boot from. Obviously I unknowingly chose Grub2 as the default bootloader.

How do I change the default bootloader from Grub2 back to legacy Grub as I have before?

Thanks in advance for your help.

o_O

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If everything is working, why do you want to switch back?
    It's weird at first, and i surely didn't memorize anything, but it's not that bad to configure.

3. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Hello Pedro,

1. Yes, Grub2 menu does work and it also has the advantage of showing recovery kernel boot item for each OS. I may choose Grub2 of Ubuntu as default bootloader at a later date, once I get more comfy with using Grub2.

2. For now, I like the simplicity of legacy grub as default bootloader because from the boot menu I can go directly into opensuse and make changes in /boot/grub/menu.lst if necessary.

3. I found the solution to reinstalling legacy grub from an old note courtesy of caf4926 in opensuseforums:

1. Boot into opensuse > Terminal
    2. Type: grub
    3. Type: find /boot/grub/menu.lst
    4. Terminal shows for example: (hd0,1)
    5. Type: root (hd0,1)
    6. Type: setup (hd0)
    7. quit
    8. reboot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.