How do I Overclock My PC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hey, I've been reading around the web that its easy to overclock, but I'm at a loss with how to do mine o_O

I have Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz with 4GB RAM and a Gigabyte Motherboard EP45-DS3R. I tried Nvidia NTune, but it says only Nvidia Boards are compatible

I'm looking to oveclock it to 2.6Ghz or to the safest maximum, Can anyone help out :doubt:

2. Arup

Arup Guest

If you have G0 stepping its one of the most overclock friendly quad. You need after market CPU cooler as the stock cooler does not cut it while overclocking. Also you need overclock friendly RAM and of course, you need motherboard where the BIOS supports overclocking. That leaves Intel branded motherboard out. ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte are one of the few that lend themselves to overclocking. Keeping heat under control is of utmost importance so few chassis fans are also needed.

Lastly check out http://www.overclockers.com/

3. Basic

Basic Registered Member

4. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

5. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

DVD+R,

I have my Q6600 running at 2.952 and memory running at 954 (with no increase in temp). I've overclocked it to ~3.3 for fun but the temps were running a little high so I backed it down to 2.952 and have been running it at that all the time for a month with no issues.

The Q6600 overclocks really well and your memory may also overclock, depending on the type of memory you have. I run an after-market cooler on my cpu but the stock cooler is decent (download and run core temp before and after overclocking so you can see what is happening).

Easiest way to overclock is to change the Multiplier (which is locked at 9 on the Q6600 (i.e., you can't use this to overclock)) or change the FSB. Others have given you some good links, so follow their advice. You should be able to overclock the Q6600 to ~2.6 - 2.8 without it breaking a sweat or increasing much in temperature.

Also, you are generally better off using your bios to overclock versus using a utility such as ntune.

Good luck.

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

DVD+R,

The guide in the link that Basic posted is a good one. I also have a Q6600 and the only thing I had to change to get 3.0GHz was the FSB frequency. All other voltages are default.

To get to 2.6GHz with the default multiplier of 9, you would need a FSB frequency of 289. That's 9x289=2600 which is 2.6GHz. You may as well go for 2.7GHz which is 300 FSB freq. ;)

I think you'll find 2.5GHz to 3.0GHz easy to achieve with a Q6600 unless you have a bad hardware. Like others have said, the quads do get hot, but you should be ok if your room temp isn't high and/or your case has good air circulation.

Also, overclocking does void your warranty which scared me at first, but how are they going to know unless you get crazy with your settings and fry your chip or tell them that you were overclocking. A mild overclock is easily achievable and rewards you with a faster computer. See what you can get with default voltages and make sure it's stable by stress testing it and keep an eye on the temps :thumb:.

Good luck

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wouldnt reccomend overclocking unless your sure you know what your doing and you have a decent aftermarket cooler. not a good idea to overclock with the default stock cooler. its not very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.