How Do I Keep Multiple FULL Image Backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JonBattle, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonBattle

JonBattle Registered Member

The old version of Acronis used to let me set a limit on how many full backups to keep. New version only keeps one. When I only have one backup this can happen: nightly full backup starts, it erases old backup...starts backing..then some kind of trouble...as a result I had NO backup.

How in new version do I keep multiple, full image backups?

JonB

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Hopefully, you create backups on more than one external drive, in which case you could have a backup for each drive.

In addition, you could use several backup scripts, each creating a separate set of FULL/incremental or FULL/differential backups. Just give each backup a different base filename, if all in the same directory, or create separate directory for each backup.

3. JonBattle

JonBattle Registered Member

I dont want to mess with incremental or differential backups. I want a directory that has this:

Full C Drive--Wednesday
    Full C Drive - Tuesday
    Full C Drive - Monday

When Thursday backup runs, the "Monday" will drop off. In the prior version there was a way to limit how many backups would be saved. That is the feature that I cant find...and want.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

JonBattle,

Please see the article Using Batch Files in Acronis True Image, this information can be useful. The batch files provided will allow you to set up a backup retention policy for the backup files. If you want to keep full and no incremental or differential backups you can set the amount of backups in each set to 1 so each set only consists of one full backup.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Using batch files can be more complicated than necessary; With ATI 10, Acronis moved forward towards automated backup file management without having to restrt to batch files. So instead of batch files, you could specify in an Acronis task that you want no more than 7 files and 0 incs before consolidation. Then you get 7 fulls and then after the next backup the oldest backup would be deleted.

You can do it with batch files too or handle it all manually each day -- your choice.

7. derniwi

derniwi Registered Member

Hi,

@shieber: ATI 2009 does not support an expiration time for full backups. If you select a full backup the option disappears. It will only be available if you choose incremental or differential backups.

Also the deletion of old archives should be done after a new backup was created successfully.

And the option to create a new full backup after X days is also a nice feature - but not yet implemented. :(

Regards, Nils.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.