How Do I Image A Pavillion Laptop With Only HD!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by highbids, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highbids

highbids Registered Member

How Do I Image A HP Pavillion Laptop With Only One Hard Drive!

I've got a older Pavillion DV1000 netbook that did not come with a restore
    cd to restore it or a windows xp it in case it quits.

It's got windows xp home installed on a 55GB hard drive I've tried Macrium Reflect and
    Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 & both say I cannot backup & make a image on the same drive.

It's showing only one hard drive my c: drive but when I tried both of the backup software it showed another
    large partition I'm thinking it's a HP restore partition about 120 MB which does not sound right.

When I tried to boot to see if there's a recovery system for it by using
    F11 & also windows xp safe mode F8 I no luck.

How do I make a image of the disk with both of the imaging programs
    saying I can't make a backup on the same hard drive.

I tried using a 2GB USB thumb drive & some CD's & both say there's not
    enough room on them.

I take it I have to partition the drive but without windows xp & a restore
    disk that came with it I'm worried about messing things up.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. philby

philby Registered Member

I tried using a 2GB USB thumb drive & some CD's & both say there's not
    enough room on them.

I would just get a larger external drive...

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I think that the safest solution would be to use a external HD...

If you don't want to, you can create a partition in your HD large enough to receive a image of the c:\ partition (assuming that the HD have enough space for that).

I don't know for sure if Macrium allows you to create a image using as target several DVD's... that would be another option.

4. highbids

I just downloaded EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition & it's showing this setup.

C: NTFS System Primary 55.68 Used 15.19 Status System Type Primary

* Unallocated 7.84 MB Logical Used 0 Bytes Unused 7.84 MB Status None

* Other 203.95 MB Used 203.95 MB Unused 0 Bytes Status None Type Primary

What would be the safest way to partition the drive & backup things up before I do this just in case
    I mess things up to restore it to where it was before I did all this should I download WinPE first.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi highbids :)

I would suggest you use an external hard disk large enough to create a full disk backup image to start.

If your internal drive is 55GB, how much of that space is being used by your windows XP installation? You may not have the space internally to create another partition large enough to contain even the system partition which XP is installed in. Reason being, in order for you to create another partition, you must resize your current OS partition, then use the unallocated space to create a new partition. Out of 55GB, you need to find out how much space is utilized by your XP installation. This will help you figure out what size a new partition needs to be minimum figuring just a partition image of drive C:

If your current system partition used space is say 25GB, and this data after imaging is reduced by compression of at least 40 - 50%, you would need a partition of at the very least of about 16GB just to be safe in case an image does not compress as much as expected. I would advise in your case to use maximum compression to image your Active Primary partition (drive C)

Best scenario is creating a full disk image to an external drive. As far as partitioning software, I use either Partition Wizard home (free) which MiniTool also has a bootable CD ISO that you can download here and then burn it to a regular CD:

Details: http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    Link to download Boot CD ISO:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/download/pwhe7.iso

The bootable CD allows you to boot into a linux environment to use Partition Wizard home. It is very reliable software and used by many here at Wilders. What you want to accomplish is a very wise plan, but be careful and take each step at a time. Easiest direction as mentioned is to create a full disk image onto an external storage drive and is safest.

I hope this helps in some way :)

Jim

6. highbids

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,I tried creating a new partition with both MiniTool Partition Wizard Home
    windows version and by burning a iso on a cd & I had no luck.

I think the partition is locked the laptop I believe had a previous version
    of a image program like True Image.

There's a 205MB logical partition I first tried to delete & the delete
    section was grayed out & not clickable same thing when I tried to
    create a new partition It didn't allow me & was also grayed out.

Any ideas why I'm not able to do this is the drive locked if so do
    you know how to unlock it.

7. Jim1cor13

Hi highbids :)

When you tried to create the partition, did you first resize your main partition? You must make room for the new part., by first resizing your C partition, making it smaller, then you will have "Unallocated" space to actually create another partition.

If you did not first resize to create unallocated space, you will have nothing to work with in order to actually create another partition.

Hope that helps, and I apologize for not stating such in my first response. Unallocated space must first be created via resizing of your current largest partition, which sounds as it would be your OS partition, then you have the room to create another.

You can go to Minitool site and under partition wizard, you can watch a video on how to resize (in this case smaller) in order to extend (increase the size) of another partition/ or after resizing, use the resulting unallocated space from the resized smaller partition to create a new partition.

Hope that helps friend. :) I am not sure though how much space you can or need to house an image out of the 55GB drive, that is why the best scenario is to use an external drive if you have one. You will need to determine how much actual data is used in your main active partition to get an idea of the size you need to create a new partition to house an image.

8. highbids

Thanks Jim,

I went to the site & watched the video & that did the trick.

Now I'm going to pick a good backup program for my netbook which
    is a older HP Pavillion DV1000 with a CPU of 1.5Mhz & 1.2 of Ram.

Which program would you recommend I tried the newer version of
    "Paragon Backup & Recovery" & did not like it.

9. Jim1cor13

So glad to hear it was helpful and you were able to get the job done :)

As far as good backup program, I also am not a fan of Paragon due to personal experience and at the time lack of support, although I was using the free version, but they never bothered even answering a few simple questions/problems i found out about the manner of mounting images and restore issues and Paragon insisting on manipulating the BCD on restores. In my case on restores, I believe I should have been using the "inheritance" option but almost no documentation about this in the free version and hence upon restore, I ended up with a redundant dual boot menu which was a problem with some folks, and I do not have a dual boot system. It was due to the BCD being messed with when it was not asked for or required. In my case also, there may have been a problem at the time with Paragon seeing my recovery partition on my Dell laptop which also included a windows folder and it may have assumed the recovery was actually an installation of Vista. the laptop came with Vista, but I had formatted and installed Windows 7 Pro. so I cannot blame Paragon if this was the case, but it would have been nice if they had at least responded to my support ticket questions.

In any case, Paragon is generally very good software, I just had a bad experience with it. If you are looking for a free solution, a more complete one would be Macrium Reflect free which would allow you to backup your entire disk or partition, restoring using a linux based bootcd that offers restore only, no cold imaging with the free version. You can review it here:
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Another possibly easier solution if you are new at this, would be Keriver 1 click backup and restore free. Simple and to the point for making partition images, and even offers incremental backup. Many here including myself have used this and it simply works. It is not as fast as some other solutions, but it is very reliable. It can be found here for your review: http://www.keriver.com/oneclick_free.html

Other alternatives to the more popular versions would be Clonezilla, Redo, PING which are all Linux boot based programs offering cold imaging only, with some useful features. All quite good, but I fear there may be a learning curve as they can be a bit confusing due to terminology and they are more command line interface.

There is also one called AIP or Active Image Protector from Rectiphy. They have both a paid and free version of AIP. You can find AIP free here:
    http://www.aip4free.com AIP free only offers hot imaging, and to actually restore an image, you need to download their bootable recovery disk linux based which is about 516MB if I remember correctly. AIP does have a pretty good reputation, and is supposed to be very fast, but I have not used it yet.

Also, I would do a search on these mentioned programs here within the backup portion of Wilders and it should assist you in making a decision. For what you want to do, I would suggest learning about 1 click from Keriver, and there is a lot of info on this forum about that. next choice would be Macrium as far as free solutions. For paid solutions, I personally use Terabyte image products, mainly Image for Linux and Boot it bare metal, although I bought the whole suite back in Feb. of this year, and they are top notch programs in my opinion, possibly the best or one of the best available.

With terabyte products, they can be a bit intimidating at first, I would suggest reading thoroughly their PDF manuals if you are looking for paid solution, and they do offer 30 day trial of Image for Windows, etc.

But from what I read you are looking for certainly does not require a paid solution, but perhaps one of the first two I mentioned.

I hope this helps in some way, and please, whatever you choose...pay close attention to the instructions/manuals before jumping into the process to help you build confidence in what you want to accomplish :)

Jim

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  10. highbids

I decided to go with "Keriver 1-Click Restore" when you said you used it & works thats all I needed to know.

I booted into it without windows xp running & made a image of the HD hopefully I won't have to actually
    use it, but it's good to have available plus it's light on resources.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.