How do I build a private secure link to my web space + mail

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by tiler, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiler

tiler Registered Member

This is a progression to another thread I started which after reading through the forum and learning a little I can now make more realistic and not such a broad request.

I have a hosted space away from my home land where all my mail is sent and where I work on projects. I want to connect and work on it without security issues and footprints, rather like a secure cloud so I don't have to keep anything localy.

I am not worried about surfing the rest of the web using this method.....I can dedicate a laptop to this if need be or dual boot or whatever makes it happen.

A possible method is to use tails and tor which I am not sure I want to do as I hate one click solutions. I suspect from reading the forum it will also be slow so what are my alternatives.

Connect securely to server

Collect / send mail which in effect is webmail

Work securely

Any more info would be helpfull........

Rich

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

For best anonymity, you could connect using Tor. You'd install Tor on your remote machine, and run sshd as a hidden service. You'd also run Tor on your laptop, and open a secure remote desktop session using ssh through Tor. See -https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-hidden-service.html.en- and -http://askubuntu.com/questions/2271/how-to-harden-an-ssh-server-. It's crucial that sshd on the remote machine listens only at localhost (and through Tor). You may also want to disable ssh password authentication on the remote machine, and only allow key authentication (after ensuring that it works).

For higher bandwidth (but much weaker anonymity) you could ssh over VPN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.