How do I access files with in ".CAB" files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I am currently on font finding mission.

Some of my old apps doubless have some built in fonts and I want them! Some are quite old. Some may not run on XP. Is the only way to get at the individual files to install the app? That seems sort of stupid. Lot's of programs use this extension. My WinRAR will not open it. XP won't open it...actually, maybe it would, but i deactivated the unzipper since I use WinRAR. I don't think it would, but I can probably find out.

Meanwhile...does anyone know the answer?

- HandsOff!

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am sure there are plenty of archivers possibly better but I've never seen the need to change from PowerArchiver which does all I need.....cab files included.

3. RipVanTinkle

RipVanTinkle Registered Member

4. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

If you open WinRar go to Option-Integration then you can check to have it open .cab files.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

The free Tugzip at www.tugzip.com will handle .cab files among others.

6. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

WinRAR or Power Archiver should work fine. :D

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I believe the free ZipGenius supports .cab files.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Can't seem to access this site at the mo. :doubt:

9. "XP won't open it...actually, maybe it would..." if you had the Support Tools installed, extract.exe.
    Don't mind me though, I enjoy the "purist" approach.

GF

10. nod32.9

nod32.9 Guest

Winrar should work if you have correctly configured the file association menu.

11. HandsOff

Thanks for the replies!

The CAB extension is associated with WinRAR. And installations with cab files run fine so the files are being handled successfully. Maybe I don't understand they way they function. In this case, I was trying to open a CAB file in a program upgrade, without installing the upgrade. Either it was locked, or corrupted. I finally got the fonts, 1688 of them, from the full version, so all is well that ends well!

---------
    Probably I don't have the support tools installed. Hopefully, if I need them I do. I looked in my win folder and there is extrac32.exe, I did not see extract.exe. At any rate WinRAR is a much more capable utility for archiving and unzipping then the one included with windows, since I didn't need it, I am pretty sure I removed the winzip component of widows in keeping with the philosophy of, if I don't use it, remove it.

...Sometimes I add microsoft tools. I have the debugging tool, and UPclean installed.

-HandsOff

12. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I luv WinRar...one of the best. :)

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Buy it once, it's yours forever. Great program.

14. Hand's,

They'd be in Program Files under "Support Tools" if installed, otherwise by download or cd depending on sp2 status.
    In addition to those, my installed Recovery Console I find most re-assuring.

GF

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Works fine here, try it again.

17. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Yes, Windows XP's built-in support for zip files also supports cab files. In fact, Microsoft was the first to develop the cab (cabinet) file format for use in distributing software. As was previously stated, the purist approach is to use the extract.exe utility. However, Windows XP's default zip folder shell extension also works with cab files. As you noticed, 3rd party archive utilities often will deactivate and/or supplant XP's more modest archive tool. You can use the following commands to manually enable and disable this support:

Enable: regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

Disable: regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

18. Excellent tip Alec. :cool: Thank's! ;)

GF

19. HandsOff

I must say, you've summed it up nicely. There is something to be said for being able to make do with the limited functionality built into xp. The best scenario would be knowing how to use the xp utilities and also knowing when you are better off with a high quality 3rd party application. WinRAR has been around for quite a few years. The fact that people do not regret spending money on it should suggest something about how it compares to windows utilities.

But thanks for the tips. I definitely got my answers!

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.