how deep is the install?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by vivalabogota, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vivalabogota

vivalabogota Guest

I like these programs, the spyguard and browser highjack blaster as well as the spywareblaster, but im wondering how far into my system do they install?

do they leave files and changes all over the place or is it pretty simple?

reason im asking, is someday i may want to uninstall and need to know if it will take care of everything, or do i need to go into registry and delete entries and so forth....

please explain

viva

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Here is pretty much what happens with SpywareGuard:

Registry keys added:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{81559C35-8464-49F7-BB0E-07A383BEF910}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{99671C61-6CB5-47EE-ADAD-EC6702823ACB}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{C3F6980D-90DB-41B8-822A-3BBC0555D3AB}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpywareGuard.Handler
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{6BFABD58-09CB-436A-85EF-0A498E1E27BA}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{F444B57C-5883-4D43-9AB8-344FC5606836}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SpywareGuard_is1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpywareGuard

Shared DLL counters incremented (your paths may vary, of course):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
    "C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSINET.OCX" (+1)
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\StdOle2.tlb" (+1)

Directories added (your paths may vary, of course):

c:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Start Menu\Programs\SpywareGuard
    c:\Program Files\SpywareGuard

Files added (outside of SpywareGuard install directory, and the Start Menu and Desktop):

c:\WINDOWS\system32\shellextlib.tlb

I have a log for SpywareBlaster, but I'm too tired and lazy right now to manually parse it. It is not any "worse" than SpywareGuard, however. On my system, it added one DLL and one OCX file under my Windows directory. In any event, neither of the two utilities are "messy" installs, and their benefit far outweighs any concern. You'll see.

My advice is to download and install "Total Uninstall", a free and very, very handy utility for monitoring application installs, and for removing them when the time comes. Be sure to install version 2.33.

Total Uninstall
    http://www.geocities.com/ggmartau/

3. vivalabogota

vivalabogota Guest

When you have a free moment, would you please get me the information from the install for spywareblaster as well.

I would like to keep these for later reference.

Also, these registry marks, they are okay to fully delete after uninstalling?

Viva

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Added keys are usually (though not always) safe to delete after uninstalling. In the case of SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, they are safe.

If it's full logs you want, I will give you everything I have. I'll zip both full logs and make them available later, when I have more time. OK?

I still strongly recommend installing Total Uninstall, or at least PC Magazine InCtrl5, so you can track your own installation(s). What changes on my system may not be 100% identical to what changes on your system. For example, perhaps a DLL file gets added to my system by an install program, because it didn't exist before. So, when I remove that software, I can safely delete that same DLL file. But if, on your system, that DLL file already existed and was in use prior to install, you'd better not delete it after you uninstalled that second piece of software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.