How computer users ask to be doomed to viruses and spyware

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The digital pests never seem to let up. For years we've dealt with worms and viruses, and now we've got spyware and adware invading our computers—hijacking browsers, popping up ads, and harvesting personal information. A recent study found that 90 percent of computers harbor this stuff, and spyware and adware are the No. 1 reason people call Dell tech support. We could be forgiven for wondering whether there's any light at the end of the tunnel. Will we ever halt these digital epidemics?

Link

2. bluekey23

bluekey23 Registered Member

Security experts say the answer is no. One of those experts is Bruce Schneier who is on record as saying that security is an ongoing process. But thanks to people like Patrick Kolla, Nicholas Stark, the DCS experts and many others, we have some great tools to fight back.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Personally, I've been stating for years now we've merely encountered the beginning. 98% of all pc owners are in effect driving without a license. Without elaborating in detail: the worst is yet to come.

In the end - with a bit of luck - the digital highway could survive. Grinding to a halt seems like an obvious in-between during the process. From a filosophical point of view it's no more then a logical evolution.

That said: one more reason not to give in ;)

regards.

paul

4. chiphead

chiphead Guest

What about trojans, keyloggers, and rootkits? The latter probably being the worst of the offenders. Most people who use a computer would probably have no idea they were on their system if they didn't have an anti-virus to detect them. But then i'm not so sure most anti-viruses would detect them all.

It seems ways to detect and stop these problems are becoming more and more difficult to find everyday, as they increase in sophistication. One of the best ways to defeat the problem, in my opinion, is to talk openly about it with others, because the more people who know about them, the more help we'll have in finding a resolution.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'll be here. I've been here for ten years. :D

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hey Ron
    i for one am glad you are!!!you have helped me on many occasions
    Rita

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Such nice words, thank you Rita! :)

8. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Umm, what's a rootkit? Is it something like the Beast trojan, a DLL that injects itself into other processes as opposed to a separate process? Or is it something entirely different?

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.