How can you disable DCOMLaunch?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NewsAndHistory, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsAndHistory

NewsAndHistory Registered Member

Would any of you please tell me how to disable DComLaunch? I have Windows XP SP3. I don't want DComLaunch to be running because it's a security-risk. I know it's possible to remove DCOMLaunch, but I don't know what application I should use to securely disable it and/or block the port, by which it's accessed. It's a waste because I don't plan to get any updates from Microsoft, and DCom is known to be exploited by viruses.

Quote about DCOM at DCOMBulator page: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/DCOMbobulator.shtml

2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Why you don't use DCOMBulator to do that?

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have not checked in a few years, but on SP2, Dcom Server Process Launcher service needed to be running for task manager to work properly. Don't know if that was just for me, or some bug. I have not looked at it since.

Sul.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

You are right and it's not a bug or just for you. :)

DCOMBulator or WWDC (a good tool also) allow to "disables and "unbinds" DCOM from port 135". It's enough. In fact there are no needed to disable that port to Task Scheduler and Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC). DCOMBulator or WWDC disables DCOM from port 135 - that is adviced; they don't disable the DCOM'Service (that apply to Task Scheduler and MSDTC also) if you don't want that (in WWDC). From zapjb'link:
    So it seems that is adviced to disable "DCOM from port 135" - not to disable DCOM Service. Thus port 135 isn't closed to other services TShed. and MSDTC.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Good to know I wasn't loco. I thought that strange because I am almost positive on original xp and sp1 you could disable it and all was good.

I do use wwdc.

Sul.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

DCOMLaunch is not currently running in my task manager, but this service is needed for updating windows. I'm running XP Pro SP3. It works with Remote Procedure Call (RPC) for installing windows updates. I disabled this service once, and found that i was unable to download or install security updates from Microsoft. *****Do not disable DCOMLaunch service******

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

No need to cripple your functionality.

Open ports - use firewall.
    Viruses - don't get infected, so no exploits against dcom.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.