How can I use JRE the most secure way?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by avboy, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avboy

avboy Registered Member

have never used it before. Suddenly I have to start using it immediately for browser based access. I have no idea about this and dont have much time to delve into details. How can I run it in the most secure way (other than keeping it updated) particularly configuring Sandboxie, Firewall, HIPs (Online Armor premium)?

Most places discuss whether to use it or avoid it, I dont have any such choice.

Regards,
    Avboy

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

not much more required from keeping it updated and not allowing it run except for sites in Trusted zone. you current security software should protect you as is

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi avboy,

Get the Firefox Add-on, NoScript, and configure that to control both Java and JavaScript and then only use IE for MS Update Tuesday's when the patches from MS come out every month. In other words, use Firefox w/NoScript, and then get other useful add-ons like:
    DownThemAll!, Adblock Plus!, Better Privacy, CookieCuller, CustomizeGoogle, Perspectives, Show MyIP, ShowIP, SQLite Manager, SSL Blacklist, Stealther, Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out (TACO), Update Notifier, Web of Trust (WOT), and search for other useful Firefox Add-ons at the mozilla firefox add-on web site.

-- Tom

4. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Thanks Cudni and Tom for your replies. I am using the latest update inside Sandboxie with most of the extensions for firefox.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.