How can I tell - XP 32bit or 64bit?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by souzapet, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. souzapet

souzapet Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can solve this for me. I thought that when my XP operating software was installed, I was told it was 64 bit, but now I'm not so sure. I've tried to find out if it is 32 or 64 bit by looking at my original documentation but can't find the information anywhere. The build date is 11.04.2006 and it is XP pro. I've also tried to check the About Windows section of the Help tab but still could not find out. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Several pieces of software (mainly the early Comodo Firewall versions) have not worked correctly and I have always assumed that was because they did not support my 64 bit system, but something I read recently said the x64 versions of XP were not the same as the 64 bit versions so now I'm confused and wonder if I have misunderstood from the beginning. I'm also not sure if my dual core intel processor is IATA or how to check that out either!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Souzapet

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Do you have a Program Files (x86) folder in the root of your system drive? If so it's x64. Also, if you have the task manager open, it will note which processes are running in 32bit mode.

Version number on my x64 explorer.exe is 6.0.3790.3959. (SP2 installed)

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. souzapet

souzapet Registered Member

Thanks people. I can't see a Program Files (x86) anywhere on my computer and when I right-click the properties of my Computer, it doesn't say XP Professional X64 edition so I guess that sorts that out.
    I meant to type that I wasn't sure my processor was IA64 rather than IATA, but at least my main problem is solved.
    Thanks for the help Espresso and WSFuser.
    Maybe I should try the Comodo firewall again in the hope that it will settle down this time.
    Souzapet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.