How can I safely disable msnmsgr.exe?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by dcdc, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

I notice while watching Process Explorer that msnmsgr.exe is consuming a huge amount of CPU time. I use msn/verizon as my browser but never use the messenger service at all, and would just as soon it doesn't load at startup because it just wastes time. I don't know what the messenger service is doing at all, including monitoring my internet activity and so on.

Is there a way I can safely disable this one process, so that if necessary I can reverse it; I need the msn browser function after all. I don't think I can block it through XP's Internet Options - it's not a site or an ActiveX or cookie. I did not see anything in Spybot that looked promising as a tool either.

Thanks for your help.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

kelly's-korner

I renamed my folder MessengerDisabled.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just went to safemode a few months ago and deleted it completely.;)

4. BartFan

BartFan Guest

Hi;

Three best ways IMHO:

1/ xpAntispy, "disable messenger completely"
    2/ SafeXP
    3/LitePC, allows one to safely uninstall and remove any Windows component.

5. That worked fine for me Ron .... MessengerNotGoingAnywhere. :D

GF

6. nod32.9

nod32.9 Guest

Yes, easiest method is to rename the folder. I personally add "OLD" to the end of the name when I rename the folder.

7. muf

muf Registered Member

8. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Thanks to all for their replies.

I thought renaming the folder would be the easiest, safest course for me to take. Renaming the folder 'Messenger' did not work. Next I tried renaming the 'MSN Messenger' folder, but the system would not allow it, either because it was write protected somehow, or because it was currently running.

I am thinking that since MSN Messenger loads when I boot, the way around this might be to get into Safe Mode, which, if I understand it, effectively disconnects my computer from the internet. Maybe then MSN Messenger will not be running, and I can try to rename it if it is not write protected. If it is, well, time for another of the suggested methods.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Further reading.

MSN Messenger is another chat program from Microsoft that can run simultaneously with Windows Messenger. Follow the instructions below to remove it.

1) Click on Start, Control Panel
    2) Double click on Add or Remove Programs
    3) Find MSN Messenger in the list and click on it
    4) Click on Remove

http://www.pchell.com/support/removemessenger.shtml

10. BartPE

BartPE Guest

Hi;
    If you want to disable certain apps from loading at startup, a good way is to use RegCleaner, which provides an exhaustive list of those services and apps, and allows one to uncheck items from startup list

11. dread

dread Registered Member

Msnmsgr.exe is msn messenger not windows messenger. C:\Program Files\Messenger is for windows messenger and C:\Program Files\Msn Messenger is for msn messenger. You have to have windows messenger for remote assistance btw. Best way I have fount to disable windows messenger is using the group policy editor way.

12. T772

T772 Guest

I killed it with a very big stick, but now my system wont work!!!;)

13. dread

dread Registered Member

What do you mean your system will not work? How did you kill it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.