How can I protect my Wireless Internet?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TheMozart, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You could mac filter... but... honestly, if they manage to get through WPA2 mac filtering won't do a hell of a lot! haha

2. x942

x942 Guest

Ha. I don't disagree, I agree 100%. I was only pointing out it IS possible with rainbow tables to crack less than 14 character passwords. You are correct on all of your posts. However, as most people use default SSIDs 13 characters could be cracked.

Likely? No. Possible yes.

I use a 20+ ASCII password for everything at min (Some are 64) why? i need/want the most security I can have without needed to change often (or at all).

As I said in this day and age less than 14 characters is NOT recommended and can be cracked *with tables*.

The recommended length is 14 or more. :thumb:
    By less than 14 usually it is implied more than one less as well. 13 is only 2 bits (strength wise) than 14 characters. Not a huge difference now 12 is 4 bits and alot worse.
    Sorry for any confusion.

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

So it's not practical for a cracker sitting at home to attempt to generate a 14 character rainbow table that includes all keyspace?

What is involved in generating a Rainbow Table for a unique target? :( The SSID was hidden, haha, but now I've got it! ;)

Could you compress the rainbow table in chunks to save space and inflate sections as needed for cracking?

Wouldn't employing GPU's instead of CPU's speed up the process of cracking? My quad ATI 6990's of 8 GPU's should do O.K, no?

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

The only thing, that really protects wifi is WPA2, so use 63 ASCII characters, you use it just once, so copy it to a txt file, transfer it to your PC via USB and that is it.

MAC filtering works fine, but faking a MAC address for someone, who can hack the password, is easy. Do not hide your SSID or you will turn you PC into a beacon.

Change you username/password for the router. Change SSID name. Change default router's IP, if possible, a remote hacker would have to search for it now.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

some ot posts removed. In closing thank you all for participating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.