How can I find out what is taking up space on my SSD?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Krusty, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

TH, they don't give a great deal of detail about Pro vs Free. I see that "TRIM performance optimizer" is only in the Pro version. Is there any ads in the free version do you know? Is there any other difference/s?

Thanks,
    Krusty

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

That's good. It is best to just let Windows manage the PF as there really are very few with enough expertise to do it properly. And note it is NOT a set once and forget thing which is EXACTLY why Microsoft has changed it to a dynamic process. The developers at Microsoft (and Linux, for that matter) are not fools or dummies. A page file gives the OS more choices and it knows how to make the right ones. The fact is, you need to have a PF if you want to get the most out of your RAM, even if you have gobs of RAM that's never fully utilized. And not the OS uses the PF for more than just dump files. So forcing the OS to put everything in RAM by having a tiny or no PF can actually be counterproductive.

Understanding the Windows Pagefile and Why You Shouldn't Disable It (my bold added),
    And to kick a dead horse, from Computer Hope,
    There are NO recognized experts anywhere who recommend disabling the PF or setting a tiny one - even with large amounts of RAM installed.

What you can do, however, is reset it. Delete the PF, reboot, then set it again to let Windows manage it, reboot once more and see how it goes. My guess is it will be much smaller.

That said back to your free space, 190GB free and 202GB free with 250GB disks is a LOT of free disk space. So not sure what your worry is. Another good program to see what is taking up space is WinDirStat.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

How do I do that, Bill?

Thanks.

4. Bill_Bright

On the same page that lets you set a PF size, there is an option to select No Page File. Set that, reboot and your page file will go away. Then go back to that Window and enable the PF again.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Awesome! Thanks for that, I'll get to it shortly.

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've just done that and the Page File is back to 16384 MB. For whatever reason that's the size Windows wants so I think I'll leave it.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've found this which I thought was interesting.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...page-file-size-for-64-bit-versions-of-windows

I did have one BSOD recently but I don't remember another one within 4 weeks. I've probably forgotten about it.

8. Bill_Bright

That's really odd. I have 16GB of RAM and W10 set my PF to a recommended 2938MB and currently allocated to 2432MB.

If yours is at 16GB because of a recent BSOD, I would think the PF would shrink dynamically back down to normal size after 4 weeks of no BSODs.

I think if me, rather than try to manually set a size, since you are not running low on disk space I would leave it and watch it and see if it goes back down on its own.

Also, keep watch of the Performance Tab in Task Manager and note the Committed memory. If the first number is high, you got something eating up your memory. The second number should approximate your RAM + PF. So mine says 4.5/18.3GB.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.