How can I do this with Firefox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MakoFusion, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

Is there a way to get Firefox to open new tabs in the same window for any links I click with the LEFT mouse button? Also it needs to keep the page I am currently reading reading on top. Whenever I surf I like to have the main page open and as I'm going down it I click any link that is useful... (Especially with forum reading) I have checked all the Tab extensions and none seem to carry such a feature.

Lets say my main page is the "Wilders Security Forums > Privacy Software and Issues" area. I usually have to right click and 'open link in new tab' all the topics I would like to read. By the time I'm done selecting all the topics I have about 20-30 tabs open. Then I read them one by one and ethier x them out or reply to them (and them x them out when done with each) Quite honestly the right clicking and then selecting 'open link in new tab' is just not short enough for my so called 'powersurfing'.

Am I lazy? I even have shortcuts to all programs on the Quick Launch so that I can open any program even if something is taking up the screen. - You won't find any icons on my desktop and rarely do I use the Start button.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Mikk Auður

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Tab Mix Plus

Attached Files:

3. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

Yes! Been looking for this for years... You are awesome.

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I knew Ron would find this one! I looked in the extensions, but there were too many sort through. I gave up. :oops:

5. flocker

flocker Guest

hey ronjor, you've got a big mouse! :eek:

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I think that was my reaction when I got Tab Mix Plus a while back, too :)

But, um, that was not... :D

7. Hmm, I'm not sure if it's necessary to get tab mix plus for what the OP wants. Being a while, but Doesn't firefox's build in features allow that too?

8. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

FF version 1.5 has brought around a few changes in the way tabs work.

Included are the ability to move the tabs around and forcing links that would have opened a new window to open a new tab instead. This doesn't mean that all links will force a new tab by default. Some will simply clear & reload the new page in the existing tab. I suppose it is this action that MakoFusion wanted to have some influence over.

I also lost a preferred option after going to 1.5 which was the ability to press Ctrl and left mouse button to force a new tab on demand. Tab Mix Plus has restored this.

Cheers all & thanks ron for the heads-up on this extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.