how can i disable continuously parking heads ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Nov 26, 2014.

1. guest

guest Guest

I have a drive from WD and i can't change the APM level, it's greyed out in Crystal Disk Info :ninja:
    So it spins down after 15 min. of inactivity. But if i set the refresh-interval of CDI below that value it basically never spins down.
    Each S.M.A.R.T.-Access = Read Access.
    In your case, if you don't want your drive to sleep after 3 min., set the refresh-interval of CDI for this drive to 1 min. Or at least below 3 min.

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi have you tried hard disk sentinel ?
    i have used it and it's the best , if it doesn't work just email to the developer ,he will answer after few hours and fix with an update
    he did it for me

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

On some drives is impossible to turn off the APM.
    Just set the APM between 80 and FE (hexadecimal values) or 128 and 254 (decimal values). In this range the disk never goes in standby mode

Panagiotis

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi Panagiotis , good point , some release firmware , but i will never update an hard disk firmware , ssd are different , but i have never seen hard disk firmware update
    concluded successfully , they become all bulky paper stops:confused::cool:
    but i will give to hard disk sentinel a try

5. guest

guest Guest

Correct. Or on some drives it can be changed, but after the drive is reconnected the APM Value is "resetted" to a default-value.

6. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I missed that about the refresh level. That works too for my drive.

7. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I tried all that, none of this helps on the Toshiba. It's either CDI refresh interval or KeepAliveHD so far.

8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

No. I did not want to buy a license to solve this problem.

9. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Interestingly my reason for doing this is to prevent the latency associated with moving a head from its parked position to active position.

I put in a 2.5 inch WD Drive into my set top box, and noticed there was a pause associated with a click type sound from the drive when initiating a playback of a recorded program. Bit of diagnosis discovered it was related to the parking of the drive head. I disabled it via the idle3ctl tool and all is good.

However I also have a Samsung (seagate) M9T drive I want to put into my ps4 pro which has the same horrible feature, I dont think its quite as aggressive but it does park its head. However it seems on these drives it can only be adjusted via a tool that can edit the APM flags live like you guys did, but not stored as a drive firmware setting, given the PS4 has no APM controls then I wont be able to do this in the PS4.

In a test in 12 hour period it has parked 40 times, which suggests it may not be anywhere near as the 8 sec parking setting of WD drives. Also apparently sony's OS disables APM when in games so I may be ok anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.