How can I delete differential backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Halsgrandad, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halsgrandad

Halsgrandad Registered Member

I am using ATI v11 Build 8,053, Vista Home and backingup to Acronis Secure Zone on an internal SATA disk (not the OS drive). Following a full backup I do a weekly Differential backup. The current size of the zone is 117 Gb and there is no more space on the drive to increase it.

I understand that only the latest differential backup is needed for restore but I can't find any way to delete the older ones.

I have checked through this forum but I can't find an answer and would appreciate help to resolve my problem.

2. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Halsgrandad,
    I think you're confusing differential and incremental backups.
    Differential backup creates only one file and therefore cannot be deleted.

On the other hand, incremental backups create as many files as you increment,but there again they cannot be deleted as they are all needed to successfully restore your OS.

3. Mikej99

Mikej99 Registered Member

Same problem, although I don't use SZ as it caused nothing but errors. So, even though I have a "managed" backup location, nothing is actually "managed" about it, and I have to manually delete differential backups as they build up. So much for setting a limit of 10, it simply ignores the limit. But whats new? Does nothing work right in this garbage?

4. Mikej99

Mikej99 Registered Member

As far as this goes
    its simply not true, as they do indeed build up.

5. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

Differential backup are difrent from incremental backup by creating a new Differential file each time u made Differential backup , thats compare to the FULL BACKUP file

so I THINK U CAN DEL every Differential file as u want, as long u keep the full backup file (the big one)

6. Halsgrandad

OK, it appears that I'm correct in thinking that I don't need to keep all differential backups but how do I delete those I don't need?
    Perhaps I'm just thick but I can't find a way to do it!

7. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

8. Halsgrandad

Thanks for that Weaz. I missed that thread in my earlier search. It does answer my question. It might help if the information contained in the last post was included in the User Guide.

Thanks once again.

9. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Page 15. :D

10. Halsgrandad

OK. I give in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.