How about if AppDefend becomes an individual protection?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by sweater, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I uses ProcessGuard free and I think AppDefend fills up some gaps on their protection capability...;) together...they makes a very effective weapon for blocking and preventing varieties of harm that could possibly happens to our pc's.

I just use the free unregistered version of Ghost Security. Actually as a suite, I don't felt comfortable using it...and I have to disable RegDefend coz I'm not very familiar with those hard to understand registry terms that I might end up blocking or allowing something that I couldn't fully understand. I hesitate using REgDefend...this might be more suitable for advance users and not for ordinary pc guys. But I know how powerful it is, and it is really effective.

How about if AppDefend was separated from RegDefend? To make it a single protection software? :rolleyes:

Maybe, some like me wants only the AppDefend software instead of having a suite that only eats up some ram and system resources. ;)

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Sweater, You wrote
    Actually RegDefend with Tony's ruleset is very simple to use but VERY effective protection that I don't think any other program comes near to in registry protection. Each of Tony's rules is now described which makes making any allows, blocks etc. fairly painless

As far as I know the suite uses a unified kernel driver, this is very efficient. If you do not want to run to run RD / AD it is simple enough to disable either.

Pilli

3. sweater

I know RegDefend is one of the best registry protection...;) but I have to take more studies on it coz it seems that each pop-ups it appears with has no detailed defined explanations, unlike WinPatrol that explains a lot and are easy to understand aside from that the plus version gives more details about what really it is about on the pop-ups. :cautious: :D

By the way, who is Tony? o_O I mean, the Tony's ruleset you're talking about? :rolleyes: can you give me the link on this? o_O

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Tony Klein - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=85131 Post 3
    Tony is a Wilders expert and is a well known and respected malware fighter on many security forums.

With Tony's ruleset (which is in fact an expert collaborative effort) you will get very few alerts unless a possible problem is detected, all the rules are now described making it much easier to either search for more info' or make an on the spot judgement.

HTH Pilli :)

5. sweater

Ok, got it... thanks..;)

6. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Sweater,
    The actual "cost" of having both components in the one GUI is actually quite low because both pieces use a lot of common "infrastructure" like the logging code (and log tab) and as Pilli said there is only one driver with one block of communication code to pass messages to/from the GUI.

If you are not comfortable with using Regdefend there is very little CPU penalty when the profile is set to <DISABLED>. When Regdefend is disabled there is still a registry hook left in place so there is a very small cost of entering the Regdefend code and have it very quickly establish that it is disabled and then go back to the normal flow of things.

What you gain by having both things integrated is that if you want to use RegDefend temporarily during an install or whilst doing something that you feel is "not safe" then you could enable it in its "free" mode during that time and make use of the fact that it is there then turn it off again afterwards.

While you are not comfortable with making choices about blocking you could simply use it as a learning exercise and watch what the programs are doing and read the text that comes with the alert and google some of the keys that you see

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.