Hotspot now shields you ad-free

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by SUPERIOR, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR Registered Member

2. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

Last time i checked it wasn't working for me
    maybe my country Blocked it or something

using instead Layerd protection Ultrasurf + tor

Duble encryption

3. SUPERIOR

same here .... on other hand, expat shield working very well so far
    u sure we dont live in the same country o_O

PS : Hotspot Shield Elite Runs 100% Faster

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Interesting, how do they make money off of free users now?

5. SUPERIOR

ad-free and high speed for elite version i guess which means u have to pay money
    for free users ....i guess nothing changed :(

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The free product still serves up ads. The new "Elite" product is $45/year subscription which is affordable. Until recently I was using Witopia and paying $60/year. I only use Hotspot Shield when I connect at places like Starbucks. The open WiFi there is not very fast and I don't notice a slowdown with the free product. Has anyone had a look at the EULA for Elite? I wonder if they're still data mining as they do with the free version?

Edit 1: I could not find a statement on the website regarding privacy for the Elite product.
    Edit 2: Sent email to Anchorfree asking if they "aggregate data" in their Elite product in the same way they do with the free product. We'll see if I get an answer.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  7. box750

box750 Registered Member

The title at CNET is quite misleading, it should probably read "HotSpot launches paid for ad-free version", but that would get less people to click on the article, journalists just love big headlines, ad-free after you have paid to get rid of the adverts it isn't like breaking ground stuff.

There are already VPNs at $5/month that have been around for a long time, all HotSpot Shield has is a huge number (millions according to them) of free users, it will probably work out for them with just a tiny percentage of upgrades to paid for users, I think it is a smart move for the company, but nothing special for the users, nothing you can not get elsewhere, HotSpot Shield elite service is still offering a single location (USA) when most VPNs, even small ones, have at least a couple of IP geolocations.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.