Hotphrase and Igetnet

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Joe Taylor, Nov 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor Guest

I thought you would want to know about this. I am disgusted by two pieces of software that I have recently downloaded to try. They aim to deceive and inconvenience users in a major way.

The two pieces of software are Hotphrase (wwx.hotphrase.com) and iGetNet (wwx.igetnet.com). Both pieces of software do at least the following:

1.   Install their files in the systems folder of Windows (e.g. Hotphrase uses Windows\System (W9x) or Windows\System32 (NT/2K/XP), and iGetNet uses Windows\System);
    2.   Name their files in such a manner as to also try and hide them and deceive the user (e.g. Hotphrase name their files "javasae.dll" and "java2.33.dll", and iGetNet name their files "Winstart.exe", "bho.dll" and "rsp.dll") – there may be more names, these are just the ones I could find after looking for a long time. They have NO files that are in their real names;
    3.   They do not mark the files in any way so that the owner can be identified - only a skilled computer user could work it out;
    4.   Neither of the two plug-ins contain an un-installer – again, only a very skilled computer user could get rid of them;
    5.   They both delete the BHO registry keys of other software that I have on my machine (e.g. new.net) – I gave neither of them permission to do this – this is outrageous.

Further, both of them are unstable and often crash or hang IE. Who knows what else these programs get up to. We need to stamp this sort of software out.

Regards
    Joe

:oops:

URLs changed for security reasons. Revert back to "www" in order to make them work - Forum Admin

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Joe,

I´m pretty sure IGetnet is targeted by Spybot S&D (feel free to grab a copy from our download section) as is New.Net by the way ;)
    I´m not sure about Hotphrase though. I´ll check it out and come back.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi again Joe,

I´ve done some snooping about Hotphrase. The only thing I learned is that it is high on your agenda ;)
    Looking at their description of the program I don´t dare to install it on this computer (I still need it :))
    If you find no satisfying answers in the threads you started here and elsewhere, let me know and I´ll give it a run on my test-computer to see what exactly this program alters and if it would qualify as spy-ware.
    If it does I will notify the "proper authorities" to submit it for targeting.

Regards,

Pieter

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Spyware or not this is what the web warriors think about it about this guy posted..rend the next 3 posts and it come out to be pretty much a rip off and junk.

Has any warrior used this or had experience with this concept? See
    description of theri offer below.

SpeedPhrases from HotPhrase work like a search engine except you are the only result. Users type a word or words into the address line in Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and instead of returning hundreds or thousands of different search results, the browser simply redirects the user straight to your site!

Once your SpeedPhrase is in place, web traffic will be able to go directly to your site without users having to know the dot com address. No more www. No more slashes or hyphens or dots. Just normal, everyday English.

Could you handle more business if you were the only “Dentist in Grand Rapids”? Would you like to find out?

So what if you don't have a website? HotPhrase, offers you the ability to create your very own web site and the best part is, we will host it for FREE. In just 10 minutes, you’ll be able to own a world-class site that you can proudly say you created on your own. Plus with our Site Submission software, you will instantly have a no hassle, online presence that will translate into substantial profits.

To get started, simply use the search form in the upper left hand corner to choose a phrase that is right for your business. Or you can call us at XXX-XXX-XXXX we will have a PhraseCounselor standing by ready for your call.

*I don't want to run an ad for them, so I took their phone number out.

http://www.uni-sol.com/warriors/articles/thread.020702.154945-1.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.