HOTMAIL False Alarm: MS Patch Available - NOT

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by COSMO26, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

When logging out of MS Hotmail this a.m. I see just above the Stock Recap Block a Red Letter LINK with instructions on Installing the MF Patch (http://signout.msn.com/etc.). I Un-Installed the ESET Patch and then Found NOTHING available when Windows Update was run. Does anyone else see the same Message when Logging Off HOTMAIL? I know the 10th is the expected date. Before others waste time Un-Installing the ESET Patch, maybe someone can verify this site and its Accuracy.

2. auriell

auriell Registered Member

3. Togg

Togg Registered Member

It's available unless you're a 98/ME user (like me).

4. auriell

auriell Registered Member

AFAIK win98/ME is not supported any more, so no official patches, etc.

BTW - why you stick with 98/ME?

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm not sure if Win9x is even affected by this vulnerability...

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I read that the vmf vulnerability affected even Win 3.x users.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Guess i'll have to re-read the bulletin...

8. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Thanks for the Replies! I screwed up by not saying I'm Win Me; As to why I am, the answer can be found in the relative stability I've enjoyed, the demise of my HP 4P Laser Printer and Easy CDC5-P (data back-ups) with XP, but can be changed with your credit card # or purchase of XP in my behalf. I never read that the Patch would not include Me.

9. Togg

Togg Registered Member

From 06-001 FAQ;
    "Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition critically affected by one or more of the vulnerabilities that are addressed in this security bulletin?
    No. Although Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition do contain the affected component, the vulnerability is not critical because an exploitable attack vector has not been identified that would yield a Critical severity rating for these versions. For more information about severity ratings, visit the following Web site."

I'm keeping the Eset patch!

10. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Win ME... Stability...o_Oo_O

How?! o_O

:p

11. Togg

Togg Registered Member

I think you need to insert a 'yet' after the 'not been identified' in order to get the full meaning of the FAQ.

A version of the affected component is present in 98 but is not permanently enabled. There is so much contradictory information flying around that it is difficult to know what to believe. One theory I saw was that, since other programs (Lotus Notes, Irfan View etc.) handled wmf files, it was not necessary to have the Windows Media and Fax thingy installed to get infected!

Whatever, if the Eset patch keeps my version of this dll turned off, I'm happy.

In response to auriell I can only say that 98 does all I need. If I wanted to upgrade I would have to buy a new computer and, if I could afford a new computer, I would buy a Mac and wave goodbye to leaky Windows software!

Obviously, if I were smart enough I'd use Linux!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.