Hotel wireless protection

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Susan S, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan S

Susan S Registered Member

I've been using NOD32 2.7 for a while with a router firewall on my desktop. I am going to be in a hotel with a wireless system and have to use my laptop (Vista operating system.) Will Smart Security be sufficient or should I install NOD32 and a separate firewall? Do I need a spyware program beyond Smart Security of NOD32?. Also, any recommendations on computer security for beginners. I don't understand many of the acronyms I see in the postings.

2. mkuntic

mkuntic Registered Member

Windows Firewall - Don't Allow Exceptions.

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

You can protect the laptop and its`contents. Be aware however that what ever you transmit will possibly\probably open to access by anyone with in range with wireless ability as well. If you are planning on doing anything having to do with personal and or private info there are steps that can be taken.

Maybe start with the acronyms you do not understand. The members can explain them, point you to links for reading and in the end hopefully come up with a workable solution for you.

4. Susan S

Susan S Registered Member

I thought Windows firewall was not particularly effective. What steps can be taken?

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Windows FW with file and printer sharing turned off should keep you safe enough for basic surfing. There are several FW alternatives favored here. Some of which offer free versions. I use an older version of Zone Alarm myself.

It would help if we knew just what your plans are while connected. If just basic surfing then you should be fine with just disabling file and printer sharing as already mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.