Hosts

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rico, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Regarding HOSTS file does anyone have a preference? MVPS or Bluetack?

I saw that someone complained about very slow speed, moving around at bluetack, also someone complained they can't go to CNN web site.

Also I'm using MS Antispyware with all system agents on. Is this sufficient protection of the host file or does it still need locking, made read only?

Also, I use IE-SpyAD, & SpywareBlaster, won't those lists overlap HOSTS making the addition of HOSTS redundant? Or is it still a good idea to run MVPS or Bluetack with IE-Spyad & Spywareblastero_O

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use the MVPS and I'm very satisfied with it :)

I hear that the last hosts of Bluetack had some false positives, here.

It seems that the new hosts of MVPS also have some or all the entries of IE-SPYAD...

At this moment I use the HOSTS File Manager, it's a very handy program that automatically download and use the MVPS Hosts File, with SpywareBlaster...

3. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I still use and like Bluetack, I notice no slowdown with it, you wont either as long as you make sure to disable the DNS Client service (if you are using windows 2000 or XP). They fixed the CNN FP and with thier hosts manager program I was able to exlude the other entires that were bothering me, and it even remebers the excludes when I update it. MVPS is very good too, I just feel that Bluetacks is more though and covers more, but some may ague quality over quanity, but then again I am pretty sure than Bluetacks is bacially a combo of four different hosts and MVPS is one of them. BTW I still use SpywareBlaster, but I dont use IE-Spypad, I feel that is redudant, plus I never use IE.

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Matt, The slowdown I was talking about is visiting there web page & reading or paging through there forums.

Also I understand its necessary to lockdown the host file, as bad guys can get around an unlocked host. Why can't the bad boys download the key from blutack or MVPS & incorporate it into there malware?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.