Hosts file issue

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Daisydad, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daisydad

Daisydad Registered Member

Spyware Blaster can't seem to find my Hosts file when I click on the button to save it. Am I doing something wrong? (Incidentally, I get the same reaction in my WinPatrol program.
    Thank You

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What operating System and do you find a named Hosts....without an extension....located on your hard drive ?

3. Daisydad

Thank you for answering. I am using Win2K, and I don't know exactly what you mean by a Hosts file w/o an extension. My Hosts file is in WINNT, Sys32,drivers,etc. It does,nt have an extension there.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It means it does not have anything after the s....no .txt, .bat, .doc....nothing\nada.

Just to make sure....you do have show all files and folders selected ?

How to Show System Files....Win2000

5. Daisydad

Show all hidden files and folders is selected, and hide all protected........,etc is unchecked.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What actually happens when you select Create New Backup in Spywareblaster or View Hosts file in WinPatrol ?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  7. Daisydad

They both state no Hosts file could be detected.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would ask you then to double check the location of the file. Also....are you using your own Hosts file or one that you have downloaded from others. If others....which Hosts would that be.

If you do not mind....Please upload that Hosts file as an attachment to your next post.

Would you also list your other Security\Privacy software....firewall, anti-virus, adware\spyware....etc.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  9. Daisydad

I use the hosts file from mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm. per the Kim Komando website. Sorry, I don't know how to attach it to this reply. It's part of the HijackThis suite, I think.
    I run Norton's Antivirus/Firewall, and CounterSpy and SpySweeper on auto daily. I also occasionally run SpyBot S&D, and AdAware. I also have E-Trust Pest Patrol running.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Very familar with that Hosts and just installed the latest version. I was able to back it up with Spywarebalster and WinPatrol had no problem with it :doubt:

I'm am not aware that any of those programs you are using should affect Spywareblaster or Winpatrol this way. It's almost like their is really not a Hosts file in WinNT\System32\Drivers\Etc :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.