host file forum

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by maddawgz, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I got to this forum chat, they said only way to get in since it went down is enter 208. x xxxxx into ur host file. Im not sure i am comfortable with that is it safe?. Not sure why they cant just fix the forum, instead of members enter that into host file.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Sometimes, the way a website "goes down" is because their DNS service goes bad. Perhaps their DNS servers are under DoS, or, perhaps they have a temporary issue with resolution and are waiting for a DNS update to propagate. We've had times when we were moving DNS services when people who had our IP address in their hosts file had access, and others did not. The main point of course is that this is usually a short term fix to a temporary problem. If the issue is ongoing and they want everyone to hard code some IP address into their hosts file for weeks or months... something is perhaps suspect. After all, why not just register a valid DNS name and be done with it?

Anyway, getting to a website by a hardcoded IP address to domain name entry in Hosts file is no more or less secure than getting there with a normal, valid DNS resolution. The security is not in the name resolution. It's in the security on your system.

Short of any more specifics, I can't declare "safe" or "un-safe" but, if there is data there you want to see, turn on your security and have at it.

3. maddawgz

I guess my question is can anyone get into ur pc this way?? is it safe. Yeah they do need to fix the forum but person is away i think

4. kupo

kupo Registered Member

For me, it's safe (unless of course you are being trick). By doing that, you can even access the forum faster because you will no longer do a DNS lookup for that site.

5. maddawgz

Being trick?

6. kupo

kupo Registered Member

What I mean is that, the IP address that you entered is not really for the domain you are looking for. :D

7. maddawgz

oh no it its a website forum, just i wanted to know if it's safe really. As far as nobody can hack u since i dont know much about host. Not sure why they cannot fix it without having to enter it into there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.