Host file and Spyware Blaster?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by iwod, Jan 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Are they the same is it totally different?

Host file bascially block it what ever is in the host file, and if spyware is doing the same how does it do it? I don't find the host file have added anything.

So would i still need the host file from here?

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

And is it still a good idea to make Host file Read Only?

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi iwod,

The difference between a host file and SpywareBlaster is that SpywareBlaster sets the kill-bits in the registry which will prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, hijackers, etc., that is listed in SpywareBlaster's database. It will not block you from going to a site, but it will block the running of malicious Active X and bad cookies, along with putting a list of bad sites in your IE's Restricted Sites Zone.

A hosts file contains entries that will block access to the sites in it's list. And yes, it is a good idea to make your hosts file "Read Only". Some anti-spyware programs do offer that option, but you can also go to your hosts file, right-click on it...choose Properties, and put a check in the box beside "Read Only". That way nothing can write to your hosts file and add or change anything in it.

I use all the protection in SpywareBlaster, and the host file you've mentioned, along with IE-Spyad

This thread might be worth reading through to help you decide what you need to tighten your security:
    Why did I get infected in the first place?

Hopefully I've answered what you've asked, but if not, other's may add a bit more. ;)

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.