Honesty is not the best privacy policy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minimalist, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

http://www.itworld.com/article/3190...-the-best-privacy-policy.html#tk.rss_security

2. illumination

illumination Guest

They still visit websites on the system, that are logged visits and more then likely hitting 3rd party as well, so what is the point to using a code to spoof activities? Why not just use encryption "VPN" and move on?
    Why not just call your ISP and cancel your service and use your system "offline" permanently. :isay:

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Honesty is NOT a privacy policy at all - it is Trust you are talking about which is also NOT a privacy policy!

-- Tom

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Adding random online activity seems pointless, as long as the real activity is still readable and trackable. Chaff can help in P2P systems where all traffic is encrypted, bounced among peers, so adversaries can't identify the real activity. But that's not the case here, I think.

I do agree, however, that dishonesty plays a key role in protecting online privacy. I mean, you can't have real privacy if you're honest about who you are and what you're doing.

5. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

At one point, my government actually advised people to enter false birth dates, despite that being "dishonest". But, it was good advice for most things, and there must be a lot of people about with birthdays on the 1st January.

I have looked at the chaff approach and agree its protections are mostly illusory, and it's actually quite hard to replicate real world browsing activity. There is the feature that it will fill up metadata collection records where these are being stored for several years or indefinitely.

There's a specific application which I think is worthwhile in the face of government collection of website visits (which will of a certainty get "lost" or stolen) - and that's to send requests to all banking providers every time you use online banking. This way, the people trying to mine the info will not have the valuable knowledge of who your bank is, so that makes automated targeted phishing harder.

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have given the correct info, then after the profile was created gone back into my profile and edited the info to protect my privacy, company's tell you that they protect your privacy. If you spend the time and read their privacy policy you will find it doesn't protect your privacy at all they still hand out your info to third party people.

7. mirimir

Well, I'm sure that they retain the initial information. I mean, that's what got Ross pwned on Stack Overflow.[0] He registered using his true-name email, and later changed it. But Stack Exchange still had it, and shared the information with investigators.

0) https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ect-to-a-tor-hidden-service-using-curl-in-php

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Well don't they also check out info when you first apply too. then approve or deny the transaction (what ever it happens to be) based on it info.

9. mirimir

It depends on the site, and the type of transaction. You can generally use fake contact information for stuff that's paid with Bitcoin, or even with gift cards, because most providers won't check. But that obviously doesn't work for credit cards and bank accounts. Unless you're playing harder, and invest the effort to create fakes that check out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.