Home vs Public Network

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Overkill, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

What are the advantages and disadvantages to choosing public on a home network vs. home? and are there any other settings that needs to be changed when switching from home to public or vice versa?

2. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Public Network by default with turn off some services which should really only be activated if they are needed, such as File and Printer Sharing and other network stuff.

I would recommend choosing Public Network and you can even harden it by making sure it says Block All Connections Even On Allowed List. I have yet to run into an issue with this extra strictness, and I do play video games and stuff, but I don't use networking.

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Home network allows file and printer sharing,also if you have more then 1 computer on your network and you select Home, it allows network discovery and you can see other computers and devices on your network.Home should only be selected if you trust your network and all the devices. I use public network on my home network because we have multiple computers and two Xbox systems that my kids play live on my network.I also block all incoming with windows firewall also have router firewall on.

4. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

:thumb:

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

After reading this I have now set mine to Public :D

6. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

I'd suggest giving the "Advanced sharing settings" option in your Network and sharing center a look through to make sure everything is off that you want off.

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

8. Dark Shadow

I have not had any issues with public network so far.IMO its safer for me,for instance we have 2 Xbox360 game systems and multiple computers and my kids use them along with Xbox360 live and I dont trust the devices or should I say the drivers behind the devices.

Public network is the recommended setting for untrusted devices,networks or people on your network and keeps curious prying eyes off.

9. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your replies so far, now this I don't see... "Block All Connections Even On Allowed List" is it in windows firewall settings maybe?

I have Comodo Internet Security so I should be pretty secure, I can still share files if I turn that on with public or will it not work right?

10. Dark Shadow

Right windows firewall on win 7 on the left side change notification and check the box to block all in bound this also includes programs that are on the allowed list.Using comodo windows wall should be off so its irrelevant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.