Home Security System Fails at Being Secure, Opens Homes to Hacking & Burglaries

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by itman, Jul 18, 2017.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

Appears Windows is not the only software with security issues.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...secure-opens-homes-to-hacking-and-burglaries/

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Like I said before, these type of devices are a very bad idea.

3. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

Home security systems in general are a very bad idea or just this specific type?

4. itman

itman Registered Member

In the past, the systems that did have remote connection capability to law enforcement, etc. did so via land based telephone lines. Some even added additional security to run the line to a remote hidden junction box in the event the intruder cut the lines at the main junction box connected to the house. At a minimum, the monitoring service was programmed to detect a loss of signal from the alarm box and dial authorities in those instances.

Wireless has changed the above in that many homes no longer even have land based lines installed. I haven't kept up with alarm technology but I suspect that some type of private Wi-Fi setup is now employed in the higher end systems giving the same type of connection security had by the land line one.

The low end cheaper security systems are connected via the same ISP provided connection used by PCs or by public Wi-Fi connection. As such, they would be susceptible to IoT hacking.

Again, the monitoring aspect is optional and extra cost. Having a loud alarm go off is usually enough to have most intruders exit the premises pronto.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Of course they are interesting devices, but if not configured correctly, they are probably also easy to hack, but I'm not sure.

Here is an interesting article: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2498510,00.asp

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.