Home router recommendations

Discussion in 'hardware' started by MrBrian, Dec 6, 2014.

1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

v1 was not that great. so you were correct there. v2 was much better imo and v3 is slightly better with the externals. the 4300 is for sure not a bad router though. the only one drawback to tplink is they are always behind everyone else. this is partly due to keeping cost down though. this is why you will just now be seeing a ac1900 or higher routers coming out when everyone else has had them for a good while now. you could also check out the c5 is hardware wise the same thing as the c7. and stock firmware imo stinks. so that is something else if you are going to buy one in the future do some checking first if you dont want the stock firmware because all models are not supported by aftermarket firmware (based on the main chipset)

one thing to be aware of is the atk10 drivers are still not great through either openwrt or ddwrt so just know you may or may not see issues there. i know both are working to try to resolve them.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're welcome :). WDR3600 has been working fine for me so far with the manufacturer's latest firmware. There have been no additional negatives that I have found since my previous posts. Glad to hear that OpenWrt is working well for you on WDR4300; maybe I'll try that someday.

Enjoy your weekend too :).

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I'm not the sharpest stick here, but it seems 802.11 ac, needs for the peripheral gadgets to catch up. Only one of my 3 computers supports 'ac', Roku & Internet radio support 'n'. One PC uses WIFI via USB, do they make the adapters in USB for ac, & would the machine be able to handle the increase? I have a Dell desktop, which has a built in WIFI card, so that would need to be replaced, so as to take advantage of the new ac.

Seems like it might be economical to string ethernet cable up in the attic, & doesn't cable trump ac for speed?

Q. ethernet cable plugged into a router port, the wire goes to the attic, could that be spliced/junction (in the attic) so as to run 3 other devices, without degrading any. Like two people using something from the one router port?

Seems like the same as way back long ago we had only 32 bit machines, but a sprinkling of 64 bit software came on scene, but we had to wait for the hardware to catch up, so as to take advantage of the 64bit, yes it was backwards compatible but hardly worth the $$ to buy 64 bit software for the 32 bit machine.

What really seems tempting is the ASUS router with trend protect. Do you think other router mfg. will be offering something similar?

4. MrBrian

5. TFCB

TFCB Registered Member

Any chance you can share your network & wireless configuration files for the C7 v2? I installed the latest nightly and kmod_ath10k but the transmit is horrible. Thanks!

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'm using a Netgear AC1750 R6300v2 right now... and liking it very much with DD-WRT firmware on it. It's very easy to install open source firmware on it without bricking it. Even the factory firmware is nice, and has a section for setting up OpenVPN in the router and uploading the config. files right into the thing. And lets you chose whether to have all traffic run through the VPN or just certain traffic.

Here's some good resources to set it up for DD-WRT:

http://www.myopenrouter.com/article...NETGEAR-R6300-with-OpenVPN-and-DD-WRT/?page=1

http://www.myopenrouter.com/article...-On-NETGEAR-s-R6300-802.11ac-Wireless-Router/

7. MrBrian

From http://routersecurity.org/checklist.php:
    From http://routersecurity.org/consumerrouters.php:
    The above two pages are from a website entirely about router security: http://routersecurity.org/.

8. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Brilliant, thank you MrBrian. You always have an eye for spotting excellent information.

9. MrBrian

10. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

@MrBrian

My own configuration at the moment consists of:
    - An old laptop running IPFire
    - A USB-to-Ethernet adapter
    - A bunch of cheap Ethernet switches

This is not the best setup possible - in particular, I've noticed IPFire fails to block some Internet-facing ports; I need to ask about that on their support forums - but thus far it's been satisfactory. With a decent x86 laptop, you have enough power to run a caching/filtering proxy, a wireless AP, and even Snort if you have enough memory.

[Disclaimer: I'm not much of a networking buff, there are probably a lot of things I'm missing here.]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.