Home Networking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whitedragon551, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Anyone have a tutorial for allowing shared printers and external HD's? I have 3 laptops in my house. I dont want to use Homegroup.

Laptop 1: My gaming laptop. Has an external USB powered supply unit and controls the external 1.5TB Barracuda HD, Printer, and periphreals.

Laptop 2: My netbook. Has nothing that needs accessed however I wish to use the printer through Laptop 1 as well as be able to access the HD from Laptop 1.

Laptop 3: My wife's netbook. Same instance as Laptop 2.

2. whitedragon551

Ok I have the printer shared, I have 3 of my 4 folders shared properly. Ive run into a wall. The last folder I want to share on the external HD is the programs folder. It contains download installation packages along with their proper licensing. I want to share that across the network. I had it setup with the same exact permissions as everything else. Everything else works fine on both netbooks except for the programs folder. Any insight?

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I don't know how secure my method is!

I usually share the complete HD, as it is much easier. But sometimes I share individual folders on the HD. This is how I do it:

1. In Security, I give total control to "Everyone".

2. If "Everyone" doesn't show up, then I add it first.

3. In Sharing, I choose "Advanced Sharing" and give permission to "Everyone"

4. In all the above case I have all the boxes checked.

Best regards,

KOR!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  4. whitedragon551

The HD itself has the security settings configured through the security tab. I picked which folders I wanted to share. And only one of them wont share properly even though it has all the same settings as the other folders.

EDIT- I figured it out. The security tab was missing Everyone. Im reconfiguring as I did a little test. Under the security tab and under everyone Im only giving them read and execute, read, and list folder contents permissions. This way they can read, run, and open files, but they cant move, delete or rename them without going through my gaming laptop.

5. aladdin

Excellent!

What about copy?

Best regards,

KOR!

6. aladdin

On my "D" partition, I have given "Full Control" to "Everyone" for the whole partition. But on my "Z" partition, I have given "Full Control" to "Everyone" only for the "downloaded" folder.

Best regards,

KOR!

7. whitedragon551

With the read, list files, and run it allows copying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.