home network

Discussion in 'hardware' started by brihy1, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

sorry if this is in the wrong section
    i have a desktop with vista that connects by dsl and has a westell modem/wireless router,i have a laptop that connects wireless with xp.when i setup a network on the desktop i can see my laptop but when using the laptop i cant see the desktop?how do i set this up so i can see and access files on the destop using the laptop?thanks

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

What service pack for the XP? It's not required to share files between xp and vista but have you installed the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) in XP so that it appears on the map?..note not sure if included in SP3. Like I said it is not a requirement but will make it easier.

3. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

xp home sp3

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

6. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

thanks for the links but still cant see the vista machine on my xp laptop,i hate that they make things so difficult,right now its not that i cant access files but i cant even see the vista pc from my xp laptop.o well ill keep tryin

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  7. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I think your Vista security is preventing your XP machine from seeing your Vista desktop.

In Vista, in "network and sharing center" under "sharing and discovery" options check if "network discovery" is turned on.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what security software do you use?

some security software use some special filter at the network level which sometimes stops you from seeing other computers on the same network.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.