Holy heck!! ATI 8 (and XP SP 2?)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jamie Roberts, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Roberts

Jamie Roberts Registered Member

ATI 8.0 build 763 on Windows XP SP2--just bought today, but it's obviously really flaky. Is the more recent build any better?

My story with build 763...

I'm trying to backup my system partition (C:/ drive), which is an NTFS partition of about 9GB (with page file, etc...).

TrueImage reports about a 4GB backup, with reasonable compression; that seems right to me.

When I start the backup, the program says it will take *20 hours* to complete!

I think to myself, ok, it's just miscalculating. There's no way a P4 3GHz with 1.5 GB of RAM and 15K Ultra320 SCSI drives can take 20 hours to compress and write a 4GB file.

So I look again, and then it says "a day" to complete the task!

So off to the help, and then I change the priority of the backup to "high" on the sys tray app, and it changes to over two days!! Ah....right... o_O

Meanwhile, back on the HD, on the physically separate SCSI drive I'm creating the backup image, ATI is creating files.

Many files... over 54,000 1KB files, in fact, when I finally killed the thing!

This is the backup, no doubt--and yes, it will take days at 1KB a piece. And why on earth is it doing this to begin with?

What gives? And then I read that this cannot restore from DVD media?? (even if I burn a good image myself?).

Does anyone use this software successfully in an NTFS environment with XP SP2?

Is it worth upgrading to the more recent build? Or should I just remove it from the OS?

Thanks in advance for all advice!

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Upgrade to the latest version

3. Jamie Roberts

Jamie Roberts Registered Member

OK, I did upgrade to the mose recent version, and--without breaking the backup into multiple files--ATI actually let me create a 4.1 GB backup on the hardrive (ok--there were some weird quirks--like telling me I can't create a folder in "My Computer"--which I wasn't trying to do anyway!).

But it did complete the image in about 3 minutes--and verified it in about the same amount of time (under 5, anyway). So something was seriously wrong before! Oddly enough, this doesn't exactly inspire confidence :)

So then I fire up Nero to burn the backup image, no problems. One UDF +R backup of the image complete...

When I go to verify the image on the disk I just burned, ATI (again--now most recent build) says it will take 1 hour and 30 minutes to verify. Well, and at least it's been going down--it's under an hour now :) But why would it take so long? Just curious...

Next we'll see if I can even boot from the rescue disk :)

4. anon

anon Guest

verifying and restoring from DVD media does take longer (though when I did it it wasn't as long as 90 minutes), presumably because of the lower transfer rates and seek times of the DVD drive compared to the hard drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.