Hmmm....Clone vs Image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by starsfan09, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

OK, guys... here is one for you.
    Why does "Cloning" look like this, and a Full Backup Image look like that?? (#2 Post)

The Clone, and Full Image procedures were applied to my Secondary HD.... from my Primary HD (that just freshly had Windows XP, and ALL my programs installed).

After each process, I ran "Chkdsk" and "Defrag". Here is what I noticed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  2. starsfan09

**Full Backup Image**
    This Full Image is exactly what my Primary HD looks like.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  3. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

I don't have the answer but my experience has always been the same using TI8 and 9.

After I TI-restore a complete image of my original Dell drive, I end up with the stripes you show in your second post.

I can do a Dell PC Restore and end up with a 'normal' pattern on my Dell-restored drive, like the clone pattern you show in post 1.

However, if I create and then restore a TI image of the Dell-restored 'normal' pattern drive, I again get the striped pattern you show in your second post.

The more I use TI, the more I realize that it does most things much differently than the marketing literature and advertisements claim.

4. starsfan09

After Reinstalling XP many times over the years, ...I've noticed that Picture #2... IS EXACTLY the way a HD is suppossed to look when you Reinstall XP, and your programs.
    Windows will put that stripe and space on the HD for some unknown reason.
    :thumb:

------------------------------------------------------------

Every time I've tested the "Clone" procedure,... I've chosen the Manual & Proportional steps. Then I notice the Destination Drive looks like Pic#1...while the Source Drive still looks like Pic#2. Seems as if ATI did Not Clone "sector by sector" when choosing "Proportional".

**At this point, my personal opinion is that Restoring a Full Image to another HD is much better than Cloning. Pic#2 is the way a HD should really look after using ATI: *puppy* **

NOTE::: I'm running the "Clone" again, but this time... will select "AS IS" to see if it Clones the data to the Destination drive like in Pic#2.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If you want to persue defragmentation to the ultimate and also get a possible performance benefit you should put the page file on a separate hard drive.
    This will get rid of the green bar of unmovable files leaving you with a contiguous sea of blue. The other benefit is that the amount of fragmentation in the same period seems to decrease.

6. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Unfortunately, when you do that you can no longer safely disconnect your external USB drive unless you shut down first.

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Did I say a USB drive or any other external drive?

8. starsfan09

Doesn't Windows need the "Page filing" system to run?? If you can move it (which I wasn't aware you could),...it would probably have to be an Internal HD...right? :doubt:
    How do you go about doing this Pilot?

I've used other "Disc Imaging" programs that moved the entire Green bar all the way to the left, ...and then ALL the Blue touching to the right of it.
    I started using ATI because I didn't like how that program done that.
    When performing a Restore with ATI, I noticed that it put the Data exactly back on the HD the way it Imaged it. (pic#2)

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

10. starsfan09

Update::
    After "Cloning" my HD#1 to HD#2 using the "As Is" choice, I still get the same results. I chose both Clone methods ("As Is", and "Proportional"). Every "Cloning" procedure I did ...resulted in HD#2 looking like Pic#1.

Final analysis::
    I think "Restoring" a FULL Backup Image to a new HD...is better than "Cloning".

ATI certaintly does make a damn good Image of a HD!! :D :thumb:
    Can't tell a difference between the Image, and the Original--untouched HD! :D

Attached Files:

11. Bob13

Bob13 Registered Member

Pic #1 looks better than #2 for defrag results, so it escapes me how you think restoring an image is better than cloning. With cloning there's no need to say that ATI "makes a good image/clone" --because they are identical. I use cloning exclusively, 30 gigs in 12 minutes. Re-clone back to drive C, 13 minutes. Never a hint of lost data. JMHO, YMMV

12. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

You should have.

Not many TI users say they have more than one internal drive but many, including myself, use external USB drives.

Also, most laptop owners, including myself, have only one internal drive. So what good is your generalized advice if it misses the mark for most typical TI users?

Next time, be more specific so you aren't misunderstood. o_O

13. starsfan09

Don't know how I can say it any better than I did in other posts.

This Test was based on how the Data from the Original (Primary) HD was "Restored", and also, "Cloned" to the Target (Secondary HD). The only reason Defraging comes in the picture is because it shows a graph of how the Data is arranged on the HD.

Pic#2 looks IDENTICAL to the Original (Primary) HD, in which Windows installed the OS, and Programs. The stripe is there, and the space between the Blue and Green is also there. There is NO difference between the Image, and Original HD.
    Cloning takes the stripe, and space away; Restoring an Image doesn't. So, that makes me skeptical about the "Clone" procedure actually coping the data from the Source to the Desination "Sector By Sector".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.