HitmanPro.ALERT Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikloman, May 25, 2012.

1. waters

waters Registered Member

Windows 7 and antivirus plus latest.Chrome Version 35.0.1916.114 m

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

3. Rasheed187

That´s a bummer, so it did alert you but couldn´t block it? I already said it before, but when it comes to ransomware, I wouldn´t rely only on behavior blocking. Some HIPS offer data protection (protection of folders), so that only certain apps can touch your files. And virtualization (like Sandboxie) is also a powerful protection method. :)

4. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Fact is that Alert did block the attack and it tries to revert the changed files. In this case it failed to do so on 3 files. The reverting operation depends on actual process that is encrypting the file (which APIs it is using). In case of CryptoLocker, CryptoDefense and CryptoWall it should be able to revert all changes (as can be seen in our video). We are making improvements to Alert's cryptoguard feature to the reverting process. We will have a look at AxCrypt for inspiration.

5. erikloman

erikloman Developer

We've contacted Zemana for their tool. More info later.

6. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

May 25, I reported an issue of which I wondered if it could be related to HitmanPro.Alert, or not. That was the "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service" issue.
    I asked Erik and Mark Loman for their opinions. Unfortunately, Erik and Mark did not reply to my request.
    Though, May 28, pimjoosten reported that he had not experienced the issue that I reported, while also using Windows Vista. That certainly made it less likely that HMP.A was the cause of the issue that I had been experiencing.

By now, I can report that the issue that I reported earlier has no longer occurred, not either after yesterday's Windows updates.
    I suppose the actions that I described in my May 25 post solved the problem,
    or the problem was solved by a recent update of applications such as my anti-virus program, Realtek HD Audio driver, NVIDIA graphics driver, or Windows Update components.
    However, I am not aware that in recent updates of my anti-virus program, Realtek HD Audio driver, NVIDIA graphics driver, or Windows Update any specific adjustment was made that related to the mentioned problem.

Anyway - all's well that ends well, I hope.

7. Rasheed187

To be honest, I still don´t really understand how this works. If a file has already been modified, how can you revert that?

I already mentioned this before, but for example Online Armor has a feature that alerts about apps who are trying to enumerate files. If you block this, ransomware can´t modify files. Does HitmanPro.Alert work the same, will it automatically block this?

EDIT: I´m not sure if OA can protect against all ransomware variants.

Cool! Perhaps you can also take a look at G Data BankGuard. And just to clarify, I think that HitmanPro.Alert is already a useful tool, but I´m asking these questions because I´m trying to learn stuff. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  8. Ricker

Ricker Registered Member

I have used AxCrypt numerous times to encrypt folders and only once has it triggered an alert.

IIRC the three files that were encrypted still remained in their unencrypted form. I didn't realize this was because of the reverting operation. At the time I considered this just a small nuisance.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  9. BBss

BBss Registered Member

I wrote a small script in autoit and compiled it, it encrypts all content from a "Files" folder and removes the unencrypted files. HitmanPro Alert doesn't seem to care about this, i guess it only blocks when all personal files from different folders on your computer get encrypted?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  10. erikloman

erikloman Developer

HitmanPro.Alert doesn't care where the files are located. It does watch for certain file formats. Would like like to share your tool?

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Oops! ....Thanks, I will try and delete my post.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  12. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Its too bad this doesn't work with MBAE I assume they both use at least one of the same techniques so there is a conflict.

13. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Latest MBAE version introduced new functionality that contains a race condition (bug) that causes a compatibility issue with Alert on various apps like Chrome.

The incompatibility is introduced by MBAE latest release as previous builds were compatible.

See also this post I made in the MBAE thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/malwarebytes-anti-exploit.354641/page-30#post-2382017

I am sure Pedro is able to fix this quite easily.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  14. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Beta 218 stopped working (twice). W7 64 bits.

Logboeknaam: Application
    Bron: Application Error
    Datum: 15-6-2014 10:45:38
    Gebeurtenis-id:1000
    Taakcategorie: (100)
    Niveau: Fout
    Trefwoorden: Klassiek
    Gebruiker: n.v.t.
    Computer: *****
    Beschrijving:
    Naam van toepassing met fout: HitmanProBeta_x64.exe, versie: 3.7.9.218, tijdstempel: 0x539af82d
    Naam van module met fout: HitmanProBeta_x64.exe, versie: 3.7.9.218, tijdstempel: 0x539af82d
    Uitzonderingscode: 0xc0000005
    Foutoffset: 0x0000000000192efe
    Id van proces met fout: 0x1304
    Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01cf887566c63e37
    Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Users\****\Desktop\HitmanProBeta_x64.exe
    Pad naar module met fout: C:\Users\****\Desktop\HitmanProBeta_x64.exe
    Rapport-id: 6bf711a7-f469-11e3-8832-001f16aa0c13
    Gebeurtenis-XML:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-06-15T08:45:38.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>138398</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>****-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>HitmanProBeta_x64.exe</Data>
    <Data>3.7.9.218</Data>
    <Data>539af82d</Data>
    <Data>HitmanProBeta_x64.exe</Data>
    <Data>3.7.9.218</Data>
    <Data>539af82d</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0000000000192efe</Data>
    <Data>1304</Data>
    <Data>01cf887566c63e37</Data>
    <Data>C:\Users\****\Desktop\HitmanProBeta_x64.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Users\****\Desktop\HitmanProBeta_x64.exe</Data>
    <Data>6bf711a7-f469-11e3-8832-001f16aa0c13</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

15. erikloman

erikloman Developer

This is the Alert thread ;)

Can you run:

HitmanPro.exe /debug:full

... and send me the minidump?

16. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there

I had Hitmanpro.alert installed for a while and then decided to update it to a more recent version, so I effectively installed that over the top of the existing installation. What I am now finding that I get TWO notifications (Green boxes) notifying me that Hitmanpro.alert is protecting the browser when I start IE. So I though that I would start again and uninstall Hitmanpro.alert completely and then just install the latest version. So ran the uninstaller and...I still get BOTH examples of the protection notification appearing when I start IE.

Would really like to start a fresh and so was hoping that someone could advise as to how I best uninstall Hitmanpro.alert...as it appears to still be installed.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Baldrick

17. markloman

markloman Developer

Hi Baldrick, the HitmanPro.Alert installation on your computer sounds broken. Please download and run the appropriate uninstaller using the links below. Then reboot and install HitmanPro.Alert again.

18. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

For the HitmanPro 3.7.9 Build 218 BETA. Do you have a removal tool for un-installing HitmanPro 3.7.9 Build 218 BETA after testing?
    Also, do you have a Removal for the HitmanPro 3.7.9 Build 216 with Kickstart 2.3? So, that I can do a clean install of HitmanPro? Can you include the links.

Thanks!

19. BBss

BBss Registered Member

Here you go, i included the script written in autoit. I created different file types in the "Files" folder to test. I get no alert when running the script, all files like .doc, .jpg etc. get encrypted and the orginal files are removed.

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/55880913/file.html

20. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Thank you! I will let the team have a look at it :thumb:

21. Baldrick

Hi markloman

Many thanks for the prompt response. Yes, that is what I was thinking so thanks for the links. Will do that as soon as possible.

Regards, Baldrick :thumb:

22. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

23. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

For the HitmanPro 3.7.9 Build 218 BETA. Do you have a removal tool for un-installing HitmanPro 3.7.9 Build 218 BETA after testing?
    Also, do you have a Removal for the HitmanPro 3.7.9 Build 216 with Kickstart 2.3? So, that I can do a clean install of HitmanPro? Can you include the links.

Thanks!

24. XIII

XIII Registered Member

I also get 2 green notifications when I start IE (which is not my main browser). I get 1 for Firefox. In fact, I configured HitmanPro.Alert to show none.

A clean install after uninstalling via the uninstaller provided here did not help.

I think this started when I installed Sandboxie and created sandboxes for Firefox and IE. Is there some setting in Sandboxie that I need to apply?

25. Baldrick

Hi markloman, just to confirm that this did the trick and I now have just ONE notification. Cheers, Baldrick :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.