HitmanPro.ALERT Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikloman, May 25, 2012.

1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I remembered a computer had booting problems around the BIOS stage, and they dissappeared when I unplugged the USB connected iPod o_O

2. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Please explain this relationship. What role does Cyscon play in this? I wasn't expecting to see HitmanPro.Alert when clicking on the download vaccination button.

http://www.check-and-secure.com/vacination/_en/index.html

"In cooperation with our partner SurfRight we have developed a tool"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  3. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

Regarding the HMP.Alert and Firefox problems:

I noticed that if Firefox is lunched using Internet Shortcut ( the .URL file) or by clicking on a link in a some other program (I discoverer it by opening a link with my mail program The Bat!) the green flyout appears and the hmpalert.dll appears on list of firefox.exe handles.

When Firefox is lunched simply through it's executable file then hmpalert.dll does not appear on list of firefox.exe handles and there is no green flyout.

Other then this, HMP.Alert works fine with Internet Explorer and SRWare Iron (chromium).

4. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Eventually, after the PC has been up for a few days the fly outs stop. Otherwise I notice no other problems. This has happened in previous versions as well.

5. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Cyscon came up with the idea to vaccinate a computer by adding some 'properties' to the computer so that it appears as a virtual machine. Some malware won't run in such environments. Similar idea here: https://community.rapid7.com/commun.../vaccinating-systems-against-vm-aware-malware

6. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Is there a way to install HMPAlert without the "vaccinate" option?

7. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

After you install it normally you can go to the settings and turn off the vaccination.

8. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Does the vaccination affect all applications on the entire system or just what tries to run via the internet browsers?

9. DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR Registered Member

Exactly what I've been meaing to ask. :) I got the impression that "vaccination" was system-wide (if HMP.Alert has a driver always running?), but I guess it could only be part of what it injects into browser processes or whatever...?

Also, restarts with installing this... Is a restart needed for upgrades, or only initial install? If a restart is needed for upgrades, that's disappointing, since my system only gets restarted for Windows updates, if/when I get to them. I've been up since May 29th, and don't plan to restart for 40+ more days, while checking/testing Sandboxie, so I'm afraid it won't be too convenient using HMP.Alert. :(

Want to work it in, however, since it seems really interesting (and I don't like most "security" software ;)), with MitB, vaccination, and possibly cool additions in the near future! :thumb:

10. guest

guest Guest

does HMP.Alert compatible with sandboxie 4.04?
    Sandboxed browser crashed and doesnt work.

11. 0strodamus

Because hmpalert.dll injects itself into every process my guess is that it is system-wide. I'm curious why it is necessary to inject hmpalert.dll into every process and will the vaccination make other apps on my system act weirdly?

I completely trust HMP, but for some reason I'm still hesitant to try this on my real machine just yet. I guess I'm afraid of a conflict with my other software.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  12. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I have no way to prove it or know for sure, but I think it may have caused some problems with my XP system.

13. 0strodamus

I'll probably just image my system and go for it when I'm done playing with it in my VM. Hopefully, I have better luck than you did.

14. erikloman

erikloman Developer

This is needed since HitmanPro has to know which processes peform injection into the browser. A lot of legitimate (security) applications perform code injections and we have to exclude those to prevent false positives (as was the case with Alert version 1).

Hope this helps.

15. 0strodamus

It does, thanks!

16. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Sunday, July 7th, 2013, I wrote:
    About an hour ago the same HitmanPro.Alert behavior occurred.
    Two Windows reboots were needed to correct the HitmanPro.Alert behavior.

17. guest

guest Guest

I see that it doesn't work for firefox or chrome portable, can you fix this in the next version?

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

What is the current version of HMP Alert?

19. erikloman

erikloman Developer

HitmanPro supports any browser registered in Windows as browser. My guess is that your portable browser is not registered as a browser but just sitting in a folder where you manually have to double click the executable, right?

I'm not sure we are going to support portable browsers. Have to talk to the team about that.

20. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Version 2.0.10

21. erikloman

erikloman Developer

This behavior is likely the cause of the hmpalert.exe service not running. Try uninstall, reboot and then install again.

22. guest

guest Guest

I use this for the portable browsers http://portableapps.com/

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thanks, im updating mine. I was still using V1.0 Beta 3b. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

One last question, as of now, is HMP Alert integrated into HMP?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  24. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

In reply to my report regarding odd HitmanPro.Alert behavior,
    erikloman wrote,
    Do you mean not running at all,
    or not running at that moment the issue occurred?

The hmpalertsvc service is running now.
    If the issue reoccurs, I will check whether the service is running or not.

What do you suggest if the issue reoccurs while the service is running correctly?

Note that the reported behavior occurred at two instances in two weeks time (and was fixed by rebooting the system), but that otherwise HitmanPro.Alert is running fine.

25. Ro4dRuNn3r

Ro4dRuNn3r Guest

Guess i found a Bug in HitmanPro.Alert.
    After some restarts, that popup thing in the top right Corner appears two times when i open IE10. If that happens, i can't open HitmanPro.Alert anymore and have to uninstall it to get it work again.

I'm using Windows Pro 8 64bit with IE10 on it.

Edit: After reading the whole Thread, i am not the only one with that problem.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.