Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Re: Anyone tried out Hitman Pro?

Just noticed an upgrade to Build 68 - now a feature to report a file as safe (added in build 67).

On my system, only the one false positive which is also detected by prevx - an uncommon download of amsn (from portableapps.com). I reported this file as safe.

Otherwise, scan is at lightning speed, this program is definitely improving. :thumb: Developers mentioned a right-click scan was on the horizon, so maybe some further scanning configuration options aren't too far away either.

Build 68 (2009-07-24)

Changed Crusader removal tactics to handle specific new rootkits.
    Updated the internal whitelist.

Build 67 (2009-07-17)

Added option to report a file as safe. This will also set the default action on that file to "Do not delete" (locally).
    Improved dynamic detection and removal of fake/rogue anti-malware traces.
    Fixed a potential issue which could cause the removal engine not to timeout when removing a particular malicious driver.
    Updated the internal whitelist.

2. Saraceno

It is getting better. Few friends who play a lot of online games aren't wanting anything which causes slowdowns. They're running this with good feedback so far.

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Yes this is a very impressive application that's being actively improved all the time.Leveraging all that AM technology with practically zero resource usage,great stuff.:thumb:

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I'm not sure what that last thing is supposed to mean - it's an on-demand scan, you only do it manually when not running other intensive tasks. :D

5. andyman35

I was just making an observation that you are concurrently utilising multiple engines for on demand scans at a fraction of the resource usage/time of installing and running the separate products individually,A2 for example runs a service permanently even in the free version.I just love the whole concept of the multiple cloud AM.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

my question is though, since its running all these tools in the cloud, is it using the full detecting potential of each AV or is it like VirusTotal?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  7. andyman35

Interesting question.I'd guess that it's somewhere between the 2 points but that's only speculation.:doubt:

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The evaluation of the suspect files is done by their computers, however depending on how much needs to be uploaded the internet connection can get saturated (broadband connections usually have a much slower upload speed compared with download speed). That's just an observation, not a criticism. It's good to note which files get flagged. I had a situation where Hitman Pro flagged a large file and since it wasn't necesssary I decided to delete it instead of uploading it, which saved a lot of time.

9. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I ran hitman pro on a newly install Windows XP system with a few things installed. It no longer flagged FDISR or other things as suspicious. I've also used this on friends PC(s) which were innundated with trojans. Cleaned them up nicely. I will probably buy a 3 user license, wonder if I could put a registered hitman on my usb drive.

10. erikloman

erikloman Developer

You can use the USB to scan unlimited machines, but you can desinfect only on 3 since a license is bound to a machine and stored on the machine, not on the USB stick.

11. raven211

I see - now I understand your post and totally agree with you, mate. ;)

12. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Hitman Pro

While I hate the term "cloud computing", I understand and appreciate its value. I downloaded Hitman Pro this afternoon and was duly impressed. Very good engines (G Data, NOD32, AntiVir, Prevx, and a-squared) in that cloud of theirs! Absolutely worth having, IMO.

13. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Re: Hitman Pro

Hitman Pro 3.5 only scans PE files.
    So it currently does not scan/upload Office documents, archives, etc.

14. raven211

So, what if an infected archive is on the system and gets the user infected in the future? I'm asking this since it would be less useful in say a sandbox-setup which I thought about, where H-P would scan the system at startup and sandboxing handles the rest. Is archives something that will be supported for a right-click scan?

Simply brainstorming overall some questions that I need answers for. Always do that. :)

15. raven211

You can always check which engine detects it by looking at the item's details - I would be interested to find out which one it was (I've a guess...).

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Surely it's the files in the archive that's the problem, not the archive itself. I know many AVs detect files within archives hence archive scanning, and it's a useful feature to have, but correct me if I'm wrong, the files will only infect if executed. Hopefully, the AM will detect on execution, but at the moment HP doesn't detect in real-time.

17. raven211

Yes, yes... formulated wrong - ofc the files inside an archive that are malware or infected. :) Thanks for the thorough posts, ssj. Appreciate it. ;)

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have been using this the last week on 3 computers. Two with Geswall, one with Sandboxie. And to me, with either setup I could see how you could easily go with either Geswall or Sandboxie by themselves, and suppliment it with Hitman Pro. I really like it. Actually one of the above setups may become a fixture on the 2 computers with Hitman Pro.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I really dont know how I missed this one. In the Cloud technology and some of the best scanning engines on the market. To me it may be one of the best products I have ever used. It is a little jewel and I am buying it.

20. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

You don't even need to buy it ... well not untill you get infected.

21. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

I don't like the cloud part of it much.

Does anyone use it but prevent the cloud upload?

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Bought a 3 user license. I like it and hey, my head is always in the clouds so,,,,. I really like combining it with Geswall or Sandboxie. Very cool.

23. Saraceno

The guys behind the program are helpful too.

You can prevent the cloud upload just by cancelling files (you know are safe) before they're uploaded. Takes 10 seconds.

24. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Oh thats good.
    I might have found a new BB !

25. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Most modern AV product upload all sorts of information to their servers which you don't see. Hitman Pro only uploads suspicious PE-files that are not already known (other users did not upload them yet). Documents, pictures or other datafiles are never uploaded as they are not PE-files.

What exactly don't you like about the cloud part?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.