Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Re: Anyone tried out Hitman Pro?

Hi,

In Holland, Hitman Pro helped a lot of people when spyware hit the web. Some of the old programs did very well at that time. As Mark said, from branding perspective it make sense to keep the name, even when the product is completely changed. It is easier in their home markket to build on the brand value created with previous version (should say products).

IMO Hitman Pro is a better application than former CSI Free, because it uses simular mechanismes with more avanced reference and still has the old lisence structire of PrevX1. When you are hit, you can use the trial period and can be helped right away.

Regards

2. progress

progress Guest

I see, thank you ;)

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Seems to have updated recently, now RC3. There will be some new features coming.

Tried Hitman Pro on a few more 'known malware' files tonight, all were detected as trojans.

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

What new features are we talking about? :)

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It collect some user data?

6. demonon

demonon Guest

Now what really would make be happy would be a portable version or preferably a live cd.

7. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I got computer with malware infection. It was soo slow and CPU usage was really high, no matter what I did. (even on browsing, IE6 took 80+% CPU)

So I though it will be infected. First thing, I tryed to find out what Prevx says.
    I downloaded it and tryed to install. No success. I got error, that had only one option - close.
    I tryed to rename it to random name. No success. Safe mode installation - no success.

After I knew something is blocking it, I went to download MBAM. It was installed successfully. After update I made quick scan. But when it went to scan system32 folder, then computer restarted after some time.
    After some tryes, I installed Avast! do to boot time scan. Computer restarted after Avast! had scanned some files in system32 folder.

SAS didn't help either. On installation, all went fine. But updating=99% CPU. I waited 5 minutes, no luck. It wouldn't finish updating.

I was out of ideas. Then I tryed Hitman Pro. It scanned system nicely and found one rootkit and trojan. Executable names were PEV.exe and nircmd.exe.
    I don't remember which on was rootkit, which trojan, but it successfully removed both of them. After restart, computer was back to normal. I was able to install Prevx 3.0 and it didn't find anything after that.

So, 5+ Hitman Pro.

Unfortunately I don't got those files anymore. Otherwise I would send them to Prevx for investigation. I think Hitman Pro was successful because it isn't really targeted by malware. But anyway, I really look that Hitman Pro has potential and is nice tool :):thumb:

8. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Maybe Joe can clarify if they get some data through Hitman as well. :)

9. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Yeah after reading through this thread i thought i'd give it a shot. I knew about the earlier versions from a few years back, but never used them.

I'm using a reasonably fast broadband connection.

Anyway, after many " failed to upload " notices on lots of files etc, i gave up and cancelled the scan.

Up until then it had detected quite a few real Malware samples in a folder, along with a few FP's elsewhere.

The concept is nice, but in actuality, the App needs a bit more tinkering. I can envisage it potentially turning into a useful bit of kit though.

So well done for the integration etc that's been accomplished, and all the best for the future.

10. Saraceno

StevieO, I reported this to Mark who develops the program and he was looking into the issue. I suggested having a 'retry upload' when files are being analysed.

He mentioned a 'right-click' and scan option is in the works which would allow users to select single files, and have these analysed by several scanners.

Any problems, just report them to their email. It's still not a final release.

11. Saraceno

Gave it a few more scans with the latest version, and haven't had any errors with the uploads. Hopefully it's fixed. :)

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

There's a new build out today (59) so presumably there should be some bugfixes.;)

13. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  14. erikloman

erikloman Developer

The entire website is both English and Dutch (use the dropdown list on the top-left of the website to change the language).
    The direct URL to the list of features: http://www.surfright.nl/en/whatsnew

Also, there is a product description (23 pages, PDF document) which has a lot more background information. This document is currently only available in Dutch though and can be downloaded here: http://files.surfright.nl/productbeschrijving-hitman-pro-35.pdf

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  15. andyman35

"Release History
    Build 59 (2009-06-04)

Finetuned timeouts concerning Scan Cloud (fixes "Upload failed").
    Added Estonian language texts to the user interface. Thanks to Lauri SC."

16. Saraceno

Seeing the Microsoft Security Essentials review, noticed Hitman Pro 3.5 was recently reviewed by PC Mag.

Hitman Pro 3.5
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2348569,00.asp

Overall, a balanced review, explained various aspects about the program, including the 'early warning scoring', where files are ranked on how malicious they are, even when there is no internet connection. For a new program still developing and with more features being implemented shortly, to me it's definitely a good up-and-coming program. :thumb:

17. Gaeko

Gaeko Guest

Hi,
    I'm kind of confused.
    This product is 30-day trial?
    Thanks

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I did test this, but couldn't see how to report a FP from the scan result. After a scan of my system, it reported the FD-ISR service - isrservice.exe - as suspicious. No options seemed to be available to right-click on the scan result to submit this file or anything like that. I just chose the option to not delete it.

19. andyman35

The product offers unlimited free detection ,the 30-day trial is for removal of any malware found.

20. prairie dog

prairie dog Registered Member

I scan daily with Hitman pro 3.5 and it always flags a file from my HP printer as a trojan. Ran scans with MBAM, SAS, ESET online scanner, AVG, Bitdefender and a few others and always comes back clean. Even ran it through Virustotal and jotti, all came back 100% clean. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Hitman to remove this false positive? Thanks

21. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Same request goes for post #120.

22. Saraceno

23. prairie dog

prairie dog Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I just sent them an email and will post back once I find out how to proceed:thumb:

24. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

The developer told me that they have plans to add such as "right click - report FP" similar thing :)

25. Saraceno

Yes, I heard the same thing. I think that will make it quite a useful program when that is implemented.

prairie dog, let us know if that is the right process for reporting FPs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.