Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 Registered Member

Re: Anyone tried out Hitman Pro?

Thanks Saraceno.
    In fact, I restart the computer each 3/5 days, so, the scheduled scan option could be usefull.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you clarify the licensing arrangement for Hitman Pro? I've seen it listed as freeware which I'm sure is incorrect. Is there a trial version? How does this work?

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Victek, the previous version 2 was freeware and consisted of a whole bunch of free AV scanners that downloaded with the link.

Version 3 is a new program altogether. It's unlimited to use for detection, and has a 30-day license for removal (afterwards, it can be used just as detection).

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification. Is the "detection only" mode "real time", like the Prevx Edge unlimited trial, or "on demand"?

5. Saraceno

All on-demand. Purely an on-demand tool for running say once a day, or once a week.

I know a few people who don't want any security (no infections, don't want slow down, or software conflicts), so something like this would suit them.

If more people put it to the test on an infected machine, like to see how it goes.

6. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

what engine does hitman uses?

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

More info here

Gerard

8. markloman

markloman Developer

The mentioned link points to a page at Surfing Safe. The information there is outdated, somewhat inaccurate and about a very old version Hitman Pro, that has nothing to do with Hitman Pro 3 let alone 3.5. The new software only carries the name since it is very popular in Holland and still has some of the philosophy: best virus identification using multiple trusted security vendors (currently seven in the Scan Cloud).

The Hitman Pro 3.5 client software is using in-house developed technology only. The engine is a new innovation and capable of quickly distinguishing legitimate and malicious files without using traditional virus signatures. The engine is called the Behavioral Scan and is best described as association mining. It generates a threat score. The Behavioral Scan threat score makes it possible to detect zero-day malware and warrant a consult with the Scan Cloud. Hitman Pro 3.5:
    • Analyses memory objects (processes, handles and modules)
    • Detects invisible files by comparing raw data and information received from common Windows API’s
    • Locates files that start automatically or are linked to
    • Analyses PE files and determines and analyses:
    • Data entropy (an indication if a file is compressed or encrypted to hinder virus analysts)
    • PE import tables and data directories
    • Anomalies commonly found in malware
    • Determines file properties like file age, version, publisher, Authenticode signatures
    • Determines whether or not a file came from the internet
    • Determine the reputation of the website / link a file came from
    • Tries to determine if a file belongs to as uninstallable registered software
    • If a program interacts or is visible for the user
    • If a file has the same name as a common Windows process or has an uncommon extension
    • Uses an innovative technique called Gossip Rating to catch zero-day fake anti-malware (rogues) - security related websites and forums often debate new rogues sooner than security professionals
    This is just some of the information the Behavioral Scan collects and correlates to dynamically determine a threat score for each file. For experienced users Hitman Pro 3.5 contains a new system called Early Warning Scoring (EWS) to help them catch zero-day malware. EWS is possible thanks to the technology behind the Behavioral Scan.

Hitman Pro 3.5 has also an in-house developed removal engine named Crusader. New is ex. the capability to physically disabling a malicious file. It can also restore registry keys to safe defaults and also restores infected critical system files by safe original versions (it looks for them on the disk and offers the user to use an original Windows installation disk).
    To handle resilient malware, the engine is equipped with a boot-time removal service in addition to a native NT bootdeleter, to thoroughly remove malicious files and its references (registry objects and shortcuts).

Just like version 3.0, Hitman Pro 3.5 is actually a brand new program. Version 3.5 is redeveloped from scratch in C++ (3.0 kept being false positived by antivirus software because ex. NOD32 blacklisted a complete programming language).
    Keep an eye on the site for detailed information: http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro . To celebrate the release Hitman Pro 3.5 will receive a new icon as well – official release will be in the coming week.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  9. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

That's great to hear, Mark. Any comments on Panda Anti-Rootkit and possibly SAS and MBAM as engines? :)

10. Saraceno

Thanks for stopping by Mark. So far so good with the program. :thumb:

11. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Well I gave it a try and it started out impressive but it crashed on me twice.

12. Saraceno

Greg, what operating system, and other security programs are you using?

This feedback would help Mark.

13. Saraceno

Just from a customer information perspective, thanks for adding screenshots to your site Mark.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/

I noticed a 'QuickSupport' download tool (I'm assuming, for registered users to seek help/assistance).

Do you have plans for a forum in the future (eg. forum for 'announcements', another for 'general program discussion')?

14. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Yes, I tried Hitman Pro 3.5.0 Build 46 (RC1).; on Add/Remove Programs : 13.78 MB. It used: G Data, NOD32, AntiVir, Prevx, and a-squared engines.

Also: you have C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hitmanpro3.sys driver.

In my Task Manager (I use Process Hacker), 'Non-paged Usage' after restart of Windows: 8.3 MB; and after Hitman Pro scan: 10.3 MB (it was already the 2th scan, but 1th after this restart of W.).

Number of scanned files: 8203.
    Total scan time: 4m 49s 1th scan; another scan: 57s.
    Number of identified traces: 5 (thanks e-squared engine!).

Identified threats:3 (Traces: 5). I notched all 3: Do not delete!
    But OpenedFilesView.exe (from Nirsoft) is NOT Malware ( hahaha!); KernelDetective.exe is NOT Trojan (hahaha!); KernelDetective121.sys is NOT Trojan (hahaha).:-* Well, 3 FP (False Positives).

Traces (5) is not deleted ...

I do not adopted Hitman Pro 3.5 ... sorry.

P:thumb:

15. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

XP SP3
    Router
    XP's Firewall
    AppGuard
    Real Time Defender
    ThreatFire
    Comodo Memory Firewall
    Eaz-Fix/Eaz-Image

All were suspended/disabled at the time. I first tried the 3.5 with two crashes and 3.0 with same result, only 3.0 never got the chance to scan. 3.5 scanned to 99 percent but wouldn't finish

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  16. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

One little correction, sorry: ONE Hitman Pro = 6.88 MB.

Yeah ...:D

17. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Hi. Is this on the first scan which follows when you install Hitman? I found it crashed as you describe ONLY when I installed the app from a location other than my C drive on the first scan. Just an idea...

Puss

18. Saraceno

Gave it a quick on-demand test against a high-risk trojan and worm I picked up from a malware site.

I've already used the Hitman Pro trial, so thought I'd test at least the on-demand scan, and Hitman Pro picked-up both trojans.

high risk 1.jpg

hmp detection 1.jpg

Both a-squared and prevx alerted to the install, and I chose to quarantine both.

prevx and as.jpg
    prevx and as_2.jpg

At least I know how Hitman Pro works (already used trial, so clean-up not available at this time), gives a drop-down box to delete or not delete the file, and it's fairly easy to cancel files that are wanting to be submitted to the 'cloud'. Once you cancel, it moves on to the next file to upload.

19. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Good to see Prevx is going strong too, and great results. Too bad it Prevx doesn't work as I prefer. :( :'( :)

20. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Business commitmentments have prevented me from running any more tests on hitman, but I will do some tomorrow evening UK time. Probably against a batch of 100 or so samples, all no more than 2-3 days old. Will test it against half a dozen rogues as well. Will include Prevx, A2, Avira and MBAM.

21. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

You are correct, first scan and installed from E drive. Thanks, this to me is worth trying again so I will move to C drive and run as well as report back.

Edit: Makes no difference, it still crashes. I had high hopes for this too

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  22. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

"OpenedFilesView uses the NtQuerySystemInformation API to enumerate all handles in the system. After filtering non-file handles, it uses a temporary device driver - NirSoftOpenedFilesDriver.sys for reading the information about each handle from the kernel memory."

"Kernel Detective is a free tool that help you detect, analyze, manually modify and fix some Windows NT kernel modifications. Kernel Detective gives you the access to the kernel directly so it's not oriented for newbies"

Ok neither of those little known applications are malware but IMO from the descriptions of their functions that shows the heuristics are doing a good job warning about such potentially malicious activity.That class of FP is understandable for me.

23. Saraceno

Agree with you andyman, I don't mind these small unknown 'system' applications being detected, even although I installed them intentionally.

Means if they were installed without my knowledge, to benefit someone else, I'd be aware they were installed/and or running.

24. progress

progress Guest

Oh no, please no Bloatman Pro :gack:

It also scans with Spyware Blaster 3.5.1 (freeware)? Is there any way to scan with Spyware Blaster? :D

25. Saraceno

ance, I'm not understanding your comment. :)

The old version 2 was a collection of downloads, including spyware blaster.

New version (3 and 3.5), uses the same name, but is a completely new product. See Mark Loman's post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.