Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. plat

plat Registered Member

It's been almost 2 days and HitmanPro scanner still flagged this as Malware, even though Bitdefender's engine has since cleared ubm.exe.. So out of curiosity, I contacted HitmanPro support. I heard back like 15 min. later from an engineer who reported the detection was fixed and that the automated process had been taking more time. Still don't know why this was an issue in the first place; guess it'll remain a mystery for now. :cautious:

hmpubm11242021.png

2. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Not that complicated, it got flagged by BitDefender, hence we flag it, BitDefender fixed the FP 23th of nov between 21:00 - 23:45.
    File was first seen on the 19th and since then we run 're-scan's' to see if FP's have been lifted, just with the whole fleet of malware there is a time cycle, the older a file the longer between rescans, so it hasn't taken more time it would have been whitelisted automatically after a few hours more, we did a manual intervention because of the ticket raised.

3. plat

plat Registered Member

Great, thank you for the clarification, RonnyT. It's been strange, esp. since this product already has a bad reputation for its anti-AMD bias. :cautious: As of now, VirusTotal and Jotti are still not clear and this made me curious about the initial "detection."

Ironically, I no longer have the interest in running this benchmark--I bought 3D Mark from Steam. Any bench with hidden biases is dirty in my book--even if they've been (partially) rectified. :cautious:

4. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Well based on the remaining detection's and their names this is Generic and/or trigger happy ML because of what this tool does, on top of that it doesn't have a digital signature, so it ticks all the 'suspicious' boxes on those engines. Which isn't a verdict on if there is malicious intentions there, we haven't pulled it apart but based on the purpose of the tool it doesn't surprise me that it got flagged.

5. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Hi all,

I have started a new info and support section on our Zendesk platform, please have a look and let me know what your missing any feedback is appreciated!
    https://hitmanpro.zendesk.com/

6. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered Member

This (WildersSecurity) forum has provided excellent support in the past and I do hope that you remain here also in the future, regardless of your new Sophos-Zendesk support section. Thanks! :)

7. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Yes this is pure an addition, but more like a documentation and FAQ kind of concentrated location for less technical users.

8. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Function 'Scan with HitmanPro' does nothing (i.e. HitmanProBeta x64 does not start).

1.JPG

Win10 21H2 build 19044.1348

9. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Scan Computer will never start a Beta version of HMP, do you have HMP installed? if not if you do a regular install does "Scan computer" work?

10. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Normally HitmanPro never installed, right-click option nontheless available. HitmanPro installed: "Scan computer" works.

11. plat

plat Registered Member

Hello. Lately, the scan has been taking about 5 minutes instead of the routine 40-50 seconds. The reason: the scanner gets hung up on this "package for rollup fix"--likely from a recent Windows update. The problem is: I don't find where one can tell the scanner to skip this or ignore it. It keeps scanning the same thing every time and the scan takes much, much longer to complete.

It would also be nice if one can access the Settings after a scan has completed. As it is now, you have no choice but to close the UI when finished.
    hmp long scan time.PNG

hmp long scan time2.PNG

Here, I stopped the scan after 2.5 minutes, it was ridiculous. Thanks for checking.

12. guest

guest Guest

HitmanPro 3.8.26 Build 322 Released (December 24, 2021)
    Website
    What's New
    Download
    Code:
    32-bit https://dl.surfright.nl/HitmanPro.exe
    64-bit https://dl.surfright.nl/HitmanPro_x64.exe

13. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

14. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

This should be fixed in the new 322 release!

15. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

16. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Got it via internal updater. Thanks, Ronny. Scan speed has slightly improved here.:)

Edit: I have just rescanned my machine. Scan speed was MUCH better, really fast (only 59 seconds, which is pretty good).

17. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

18. plat

plat Registered Member

Got build 322 via internal updater. The scan time is back to normal but not quite the speed of the test build 320 a couple of months back. Not disappointed at all, though. Thanks, mood, for the first announcement. Thanks for the new build. :thumb:

19. feerf56

feerf56 Registered Member

Unfortunately BSOD happened when I tried to launch the new release.

Crash Dump Analysis
    Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
    C:\WINDOWS
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Fri 2021. 12. 24. 15:42:50 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122421-14281-01.dmp
    uptime: 09:16:50
    This was probably caused by the following module: hmpalert.sys (hmpalert+0x282DF)
    Bugcheck code: 0x18 (0x0, 0xFFFF930F3C891060, 0x10, 0x1)
    Error: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hmpalert.sys
    product: HitmanPro.Alert
    company: SurfRight B.V.
    description: HitmanPro.Alert Support Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that the reference count of an object is illegal for the current state of the object.
    This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hmpalert.sys (HitmanPro.Alert Support Driver, SurfRight B.V.).
    Google query: hmpalert.sys SurfRight B.V. REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

On Fri 2021. 12. 24. 15:42:50 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
    uptime: 09:16:50
    This was probably caused by the following module: hmpalert_6e0000.sys (0x0000000000000001)
    Bugcheck code: 0x18 (0x0, 0xFFFF930F3C891060, 0x10, 0x1)
    Error: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
    Bug check description: This indicates that the reference count of an object is illegal for the current state of the object.
    This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hmpalert_6e0000.sys .
    Google query: hmpalert_6e0000.sys REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

Conclusion
    2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

hmpalert.sys (HitmanPro.Alert Support Driver, SurfRight B.V.)
    hmpalert_6e0000.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

2021-12-24_154803.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  20. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

New backend stuff, nothing should be changed and/or behave different on user end.

21. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

What kind of times are we talking about? and what happens if you pause the other AV scan(ners)?
    You might try advanced settings disk mode compatible also to see if that makes any difference.
    Other option is to run a scan with Remnants off.

22. plat

plat Registered Member

This in fact was the ticket. Went from 44 sec to 28. So I leave it on compatible disk access until further notice. Thanks again.
    hmp320.PNG

Edit: second scan a short time later was 23 sec. Nice.

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@mood & @RonnyT -- 10Q for the heads-up! :thumb: HMP is my major favorite scanner. :-*
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My guru informed me that I am immortal as long as my HMP license remains active. Uhh.. any Christmas/New-Years deals on extending licenses? :p

24. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

25. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

Auto updated to new HMP version today! Runs well!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.